IGNORED

Switching hardware on and off

Here's pretty easy to read table you can use.

Since audio elcos are designed for other properties than endurance, those are typically rated 1000 or 2000 hours at +85C, so you can check the top part of the table "Standard grade" and columns 2000 and 1000 respectively.

If the box is considerably warm outside, the temperature inside near heat sinks or such can be quite high already (can be measured nicely with IR-camera).

That's why I'm using the "extended temperature & life" parts in my PSUs exclusively, but still want to power down the device because I'm expecting to get five to fifteen years of good performance out of the device.

If the expectation is just two to five years, the device probably manages for that time even if left on all the time.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I believe this.... my Krell KRC-3 pre-amp has no off or standby unless I unplug it, and there is continuous heat through the top grille. It's probably about 10 years old, and I had all he ELCO's revised this year, ie changed to new ones. The guy doing the work said mine looked fine, but said that he often sees Krells brought in with ELCO probs, simply due to heat ageing.

Grimm Mu-1 > Mola Mola Makua/DAC > Luxman m900u > Vivid Audio Kaya 90

Hello Miska,

Well I guess the other take home message is go to some considerable length to keep your stuff quite cool. I was aware of the 10 c increase cuts life in half. You just don't think that not all that much extra heat really cuts that deeply in life as it in fact does. Good link you gave there.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

The DAC is rated at only 14 Watts and I have removed its vacuum tube from it, so it stays on (I'm using it as a preamp also).

The power amp is class AB and rated at 45 Watts when idle so it stays on because in its dictionary the word "heat" does not exist:

xpa2.2.jpg

If you had the memory of a goldfish, maybe it would work.

Is it detrimental to plug some monitors (two HS80Ms) into a single surge protector and use that to switch the monitors on/off daily? I am not a lazy person so I don't mind turning off the monitors directly but if it is of absolutely no harm to do it the surge protector way then a little convenience would be nice smile.gif.