IGNORED

Additional information will bias one to believe claims made

Mr. Randi is not very well known in Holland (at least as far as I recall), so I can not comment on other issues besides what I read about the US$ 1,000,000 challenge for the cable... I he, as Julf mentioned, is responsible for debunking paranormal healers than I can only say "Hooray to that!"... It is a bit too personal to explain publicly, but my experience is that these people do more harm than good, and I applaud all efforts to get rid of these (for the most part) frauds.

"In the book The Faith Healers, Randi wrote that his anger and relentlessness arises out of compassion for the victims of fraud. Randi has also been critical of João de Deus (John of God), a self-proclaimed psychic surgeon who has received international attention. Randi observed, referring to psychic surgery, "To any experienced conjurer, the methods by which these seeming miracles are produced are very obvious.""

Wikipedia: James Randi

James Randi: The Faith Healers

I'm sorry - I read the whole article and didn't see anything that talked about "objectivists" vs. "subjectivists". Can you please point out what you're talking about?

It relates to an earlier thread where some were stating that subjective listening is a completely irrelevant, unnecessary step in the design process.

The thread:

The Double-Blind Control Experiment and Scientific Thinking

It relates to an earlier thread where some were stating that subjective listening is a completely irrelevant, unnecessary step in the design process.

The thread: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/double-blind-control-experiment-and-scientific-thinking-12903/?highlight=The+Double-Blind+Control+Experiment+Scientific+Thinking

Another case of the Biondo Commune blinding the issue of if a Braburn is superior to a William Crump...

Though I'm sure you will disagree...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

"In the book The Faith Healers, Randi wrote that his anger and relentlessness arises out of compassion for the victims of fraud. Randi has also been critical of João de Deus (John of God), a self-proclaimed psychic surgeon who has received international attention. Randi observed, referring to psychic surgery, "To any experienced conjurer, the methods by which these seeming miracles are produced are very obvious.""

Wikipedia: James Randi

James Randi: The Faith Healers

Julf, amazing that you mention João de Deus (John of God), a self-proclaimed psychic surgeon based in Abadiânia, a small town in the state of Goiás, southwest of Brasília. Rather than post OT further here, I'll edit this post and post at the Insane People thread. However, I will state that I was personally chosen by João de Deus from a fairly large group of individuals visiting his base to "assist" him with "psychic surgery" of a local woman who came to him for treatment of an ailment (in her breast). In this post I will merely confirm from own direct experience of João de Deus with whom I felt extremely uncomfortable that despite Paul's perspective of Randi as a trickster, about whom I have no opinion, if Randi has taken João de Deus on specifically, he is doing a service for other innocent patients who may, unfortunately, seek João de Deus' services locally or patients from the world-at-large.

Please excuse this OT post.

Best,

Richard

Hi Paul,

Not to start an argument here, but in Holland it is not unheard of that (for example) security companies hire ex-convicts (if I understand correctly sometimes via rehabilitation programs) for their "experience". They know all "the tricks of the trade", so to speak. Just like manufacturers of vaults have their new products "tested" by safe-crackers...

In that respect what you refer to as a "trickster" might be just the right "trait" for Mr. Randi... Seeing things through the eyes of a trickster might reveal things others can not see...

Mr. Randi is not very well known in Holland (at least as far as I recall), so I can not comment on other issues besides what I read about the US$ 1,000,000 challenge for the cable... I he, as Julf mentioned, is responsible for debunking paranormal healers than I can only say "Hooray to that!"... It is a bit too personal to explain publicly, but my experience is that these people do more harm than good, and I applaud all efforts to get rid of these (for the most part) frauds.

As for the "communication" between Mr. Fremer and Mr. Randi... From what I recall to have read, both can not wash their hands in innocence...

Regards,

Peter

I concur with your perspective having personal experience as an "observer" of a João de Deus at his base Brazil claiming to be a psychic surgeon. Your sentiments/comments about Randi, who I also do not know enough about to personally comment, as it concerns someone like João de Deus in specific scenarios are well-intended.

Best,

Richard

I concur with your perspective having personal experience as an "observer" of a João de Deus at his base Brazil claiming to be a psychic surgeon. Your sentiments/comments about Randi, who I also do not know enough about to personally comment, as it concerns someone like João de Deus in specific scenarios are well-intended.

Best,

Richard

Hi Richard,

I had heard about Joâo de Deus, but even though I live in Brasil and his name should have been a dead-giveaway, I completely missed he is Brazilian...

My experience was probably by far not as serious as yours, but serious enough to take hard "countermeasures" as it involved my mother.

Regards,

Peter

“We are the Audiodrones. Lower your skepticism and surrender your wallets. We will add your cash and savings to our own. Your mindset will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.” - (Quote from Star Trek: The Audiophile Generation)

Hi Richard,

I had heard about Joâo de Deus, but even though I live in Brasil and his name should have been a dead-giveaway, I completely missed he is Brazilian...

My experience was probably by far not as serious as yours, but serious enough to take hard "countermeasures" as it involved my mother.

Regards,

Peter

Amen. BTW: I loved touring Brazil, Salvador, Brasilia and the outskirts, Rio and the near jungles, Iguaçu Falls, with my wife and being allowed into the various societies where I mostly had profound experiences that were life changing in the way that, for me, confirmed how I felt as a child, i.e., everything is alive, has vibration and frequency (a heartbeat of sorts) and we're all connected. Brazil for me was a magic place filled with beauty and awe even though at the time (1995) the politics and conditions for some were dire.

Being part of a ceremony in the jungles on a plantation outside Rio and experiencing the my journey on Ayahuasca was life inspiring for me and my wife and the group we traveled with and the congregation who allowed us to participate.

Best,

Richard

Richard at Iguasu Falls.jpg