IGNORED

What is your personal reference audiophile recording (best sound quality)?

All of the below are capable of transporting you to the recording venue...

Benny Goodman & Friends (London CD 820 179-2) Recorded in the early 70's, and released on CD in '84, this incredible effort makes you wonder why the majority of CD's in that era sounded like flat-lined garbage. Really an unbelievable recording of some very nice swing standards. 'I Ain't Got Nobody' and 'Dream a Little Dream of Me' are not to be missed.

A Tribute To Stevie Ray Vaughan (Various: Unknown Label CD) An all-star gathering of bluesman and Bonnie Raitt in a live tribute concert to the late, great Vaughan....this is a "you-are-there" recording. Hardly a day goes by that I don't at least listen to the Buddy Guy cut. When someone talks about your walls melting away and the recording literally pressurizing your space, this track is what they mean.

The Fred Hersch Trio Plays (Chesky Records CD) Fairly mellow piano jazz with the occasional spicing up of the attack. I'm normally not a big fan of Chesky's content, but this one is too good to pass up. 'Doxy' is the last track on the album...and they saved the best for last. An amazingly recorded drum solo at the 4+ min mark is the standout, along with Fred's excellent piano work.

For Duke (M&K Realtime CD or LP...if you can find) Probably the best studio recording I've ever heard. In a revealing system, everything gets shown to you....sheet music pages being turned, the musicians readying for their solo, all is laid bare for you. I lost my mint vinyl pressing of this recording during a move years ago, and I'm still pissed about it.

Clifford Jordan Quartet 'Live at Ethell's' (Mapleshade CD) While the overall content on this disc doesn't always grab me, the sonics are the absolute epitome of a reference recording. Actually the majority of the Mapleshade discs are impeccably recorded....you just have to find what you dig.

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

I'd recommend anything done by Maestro Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra. Most of their albums were recorded with Telarc and it provides some crystal clear audio quality. :) It helps that I like lots of soundtrack music.

Mancini's Greatest Hits is a particular favorite of mine from Kunzel.

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

The Harrow and the Harvest, Gillian Welch - This is really good quality straightforward recording of voice (with recessed harmonies that allow the main vocal to shine through) and acoustic guitars. A system has to do the simple basics really, really well or it hasn't got a prayer of handling orchestras and live rock concerts. This recording is every bit good and spare enough to show you whether your system can pick up nuances of expression in vocals and acoustic guitar.

The List, Rosanne Cash - Her dad Johnny Cash wrote down 100 songs that he felt she (and everyone) ought to know as The Great American Songbook. Here she performs a selection of her favorites from that list, with production from her husband, who lovingly puts her voice front and center. 500 Miles is a particular favorite, and probably my acid test for vocal reproduction.

Nice thread.

Jud,

Thanks so much for the heads up on these two albums. I went over to amazon, put on a pair of "ear muffs", and cue'd them both up.....wonderful recordings and very satisfying musically as well, especially the Welch disc! Stuck in my cart immediately.

...and yes, very nice thread!

More great suggestions. Bought the Vaughan ($0.31 + $2.98); want the Goodman and Duke, but used prices for them are above my (terribly low) threshold. Ahhh, consumer expectations.

Brian,

The Goodman disc can be had used on Amazon for a penny....plus the usual $2.98 shipping cost. Amazon.com: Used and New: Benny Goodman & Friends

Can't help ya with the Ellington....it's always a bit high in price.

Good luck!