IGNORED

B&W new PV1D subs?

Has anyone seen or heard the new PV1D sub from Bowers and Wilkins?

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Downloads/Product/InfoSheet/ENG_FP31038_PV1D_Info-Sheet.pdf

Thoughts?

Thought I would reply based on your post in the brick and mortar thread in the general forum.

My first reaction is the quoted frequency response of "7.5Hz - 450Hz ±3dB on reference axis" is quite hard to believe. Is it possible to get two 8 inch woofers to produce a 7-8Hz tone that is even audible? If you haven't already, check out equal loudness contours. At what volume level were they reproducing this 7.5Hz tone? From what I understand you need SPL of about 80dB or so to even sense a 20Hz tone, so to think of this subwoofer reproducing anything audible at 20Hz or below is quite questionable. The Velodyne MiniVee with a 1000w RMS/2000w peak Class D amplifier and 8" woofer as measured by Audioholics (link) started to tail off around 30Hz, and only produced 60-65dB SPL at 20Hz which likely would not be audible unless you had your ear right next to the woofer.

The DSP seems interesting, but for $1,700 MSRP I think there might be some better options. Of course, I have not heard this subwoofer but I do have a few questions about it based on the specifications alone. I understand not everyone plays pipe organ music/music with those types of low frequency tones, but for that kind of money I would want a subwoofer capable of producing most/all audible bass notes with very low levels of distortion.

Just my two cents...

-Tyler

Office: iPod classic/iPad -> Shure SE425 IEM Home: Oppo BDP-83/Synology DS211j -> Integra DTR-7.8 -> Revel speakers

Thanks. I didn't really pay close attention to that spec. My casual understanding is that we don't hear, in the conventional sense, sound below about 25Hz, but instead we feel it as a vibration.

I am intrigued with the computer-controlled RS232/USB functionality. Their program software appears to be windows-only, sadly.

Thanks. I didn't really pay close attention to that spec. My casual understanding is that we don't hear, in the conventional sense, sound below about 25Hz, but instead we feel it as a vibration.

I am intrigued with the computer-controlled RS232/USB functionality. Their program software appears to be windows-only, sadly.

Two 8" cones in close proximity should approximately equal one 15-16" driver, so the sub should be able to get fairly low and move a good amount of air.

But yes, Windows-only seems like a non-starter. Wonder if they do that stuff (the software) in house or farm it out?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 6 months later...