IGNORED

NDAS for network access to music files

Since I first dipped my toes into computer sourced music playback, I have been using NDAS for storing my music files. Supposedly there is up to a six-fold increase in file transfer speeds over NAS which would make it seem to me an obvious choice for remote access to a large library. It does required a driver installation, but on the other hand it bypasses the TCPIP protocol so set-up is virtually plug and play. The other advantage is the drive enclosure can be disconnected from the network plugged into a USB port. Reasonable cost too. After the purchase of the hard drive, the box was around $25.00. Anyone else using this technology in their audio playback?

Well, I had to google it to figure out what the heck it was! That may be one reason...The other is that I personally didn't get the difference between an NAS and this. I must be missing something. I also don't understand why they claim that an NAS is available on the internet and not your local network. AFAIK you have to give the NAS permission to be shared like that do you not? Anyway perhaps you can explain the advantages better than the link I found.

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

This link seems to have a good side by side comparison of the two technologies.

ximeta

I think the bottom line is that on paper it appears to have faster transfer speed that NAS and considering the importance of speed in streaming music files from an external hard drive it seems a logical choice to me. I came across it when I was looking for a hard drive external box with a network connection. Most of the stuff seemed way expensive until I found these Ximeta boxes for $25.00.

http://www.cnet.com/network-storage/ximeta-netdisk-hard-drive/4505-3382_7-32045133.html

• 2 weeks later...

I have about 6 of these devices from Iocell.

I have used them for about 4 years.

I don't find them to be blazingly fast BUT they were fast enough to stream music with no problems, to stream 2 movies simultaneously with no problem, etc.

However I had issues with the company not giving a rebate on an advertised deal and no response from company for a problem.

In addition, I developed issues with the devices having to be (re)mounted continuously.

I did like the ability to plug the device into a USB port and work.

For the price, they provided cheap NAS like functionality.

Eventually I gave up due to the mount issue. My long term solution since then has been to hook multiple drives including the NDAS drives to an old clunker pc configured with wake on LAN, share all of the drives, and just wake up the pc remotely when needed. It goes to sleep when not in use and is pretty "green" energy wise I think. I still can remove any drive at anytime for USB use on another computer if needed.

Ah yes, the old reliability issue.

That was my issue/battle and why I retired the NDAS configured drives to USB configuration. As USB drivers they work fine (althought there are cheaper USB boxes).

If the drives are in a warm room, they get pretty hot also. I had 2 in an indoor but not AC'ed closet in Texas and had to get an external desktop fan to cool the drives off. In the winter, no problema.

Email IOCELL and see if you get a response to a reasonable question. Or call the phone mumber and see if anyone answers/returns your phone call. Last year, no one did on several occasions.

I use two of the ximeta boxes and locate them in the basement where it's naturally cooler. One contains data, including backups, downloads and is accessible read/write from my main computer, read only from my satellite PC's. The second box contains my music and is attached read/write to the music server. I rarely have disconnects or remounts because you can configure the ximeta hardware to reject suspend/hibernation. Overall I have been pleased with the price to performance ratio and would recommend this network route as a good viable alternative to NAS.