IGNORED

Mini or Macbook remote control

Hi,

I am putting together a system for computer based audio. My plans are to buy a Mac Mini or Macbook (used) and to connect via toslink or usb to a dac.

The mini or macbook will be located near my audio equipment, so I need something for remote control. I already know about the ipod touch remote application, but I was thinking about using a Vista laptop for this (since I already own one).

Is there VNC software that will work between the mini/macbook and the vista laptop? So I can remotely control the mini/macbook with my Vista laptop?

Thanks in advance,

Dan.

Any VNC client will work, UltraVNC, TightVNC, and I'm sure there are others. All you have to do on the Mac (if I remember correctly) is to go in to System Preferences, open Sharing, and enable Remote Management.

You can then use any VNC client on the Vista laptop to access the mac. I vaguely remember having to try different VNC clients to get one that performed well against my Mac Mini but maybe that has changed.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I now own a Macbook and are thinking of adding a Mini to my system. I would then connect to a DAC via usb and remote control the Mini with my Macbook.

I learned about the screen sharing on the Macs; I was just wondering how the speed is? Is coverflow in itunes still useful this way?

When I use vnc to connect from my Vista laptop to the Macbook I am not really impressed by the speed of the screen refreshing, especially when using itunes.

Thanks again,

D.