IGNORED

The Great Cable and Interconnect Swindle: An Etiology

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

George

You are playing with words. :P

According to you, this phenomenon did not exist. The same applies to brand new and fresh stock large value Audiophile capacitors from different manufacturers. Some Audiophile large value electros take WEEKS, not hours to fully stabilise.

Alex

When I had my amp upgraded to the Special Edition model, it involved a change in much of the circuitry, including the capacitors. I was unhappy with a particular aspect of the sound and communicated my concerns to Dan Wright of ModWright Instruments. The amp already had over 200 hours on it at the time. He advised me to have patience because their proprietary capacitors could take as much as 400 hours to completely burn in. He was right. It was not a case of me becoming accustomed to the negative characteristic because it was was both obvious and irritating with some material. It disappeared after an additional 100+ hours.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

1 hour ago, gmgraves said:

Pretty standard stuff. We had a RCA Victor B&W TV in the early ‘50’s, and I never heard/noticed the fly-back on that, but when we got our first color set (also RCA circa 1956), that was the first time I heard it. After that just about every NTSC TV I had to put up with it until I was 35 or so, after which I couldn’t hear it so easily any more (of course If I stuck my head inside the TV I could still hear it until very recently. I can’t hear 15,750 Hz any more But I can still hear 15 KHz (sorta)!

Other than a repairman, why on earth would anyone stick their head inside the TV for any reason, let alone to hear a 15,750 Hz tone? Must be an old TV because I don't see how you could stick your head inside a flat screen? :)

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

9 hours ago, gmgraves said:

You’re being too literal. If I got to close to the back of a CRT-based NTSC TV I could still hear it. Of course, we, here in the USA don’t use NTSC any more, nor do we use CRT TVs any more. Today’s LCD/OLED screens don’t have a high-voltage raster, so there is no audible high frequency sound.

3 hours ago, sandyk said:

I agree

You didn't need to stick your head into the TV to hear it. Quite a few of the earlier colour TVs (Rank Arena, Sharp etc. ) had quite a little annoying Horizontal timebase related noise . I could still notice it  in the background to well past my teens.

You guys take things far too seriously. It was a joke. I guess my humour is just too subtle for both of you. :)

• 2 months later...
On 8/2/2020 at 10:48 AM, PYP said:

cable manufacturer answers the question - Why don't reviews include measurements of the cables. 

Pardon my French, but a lot of what he says strikes me as bullshit. For example, he goes on and on about "the recipe" and won't answer the question of whether his cables are silver or copper. He can say that they made of silver, copper, or a combination of metals, and add that he views the metal used as not being determinative of the sound. However, IMO, that is not a reason to avoid the question entirely. At the price he charges for his cables, he can at least tell you what metal(s) they are made of if you want to know.