IGNORED

200 jazz albums in hires at discounted prices on Qobuz

Just received a newsletter from Qobuz, apparently they currently have around 200 hires albums as special offer for about 2 weeks.

I checked out their site, they are rather well hidden, the only way you can identify is by the Price tag being highlighted in red. I saw several quite nice albums at 11.99 or 13.99, wil check out in more detail later.

Probably the explanation is that they are in Europe, where things are generally more expensive.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I think it is just the Sales Tax, or Value Added Tax (VAT) as it is called. I think the French are 19.6%.

But Qobuz do have some great time limited special offers, I bought the latest Gardot (24/96) at €14.99 or £12/$19ish. HDTracks is $17.98 or so.

Bob Marley - Legend 24/96

HDTracks - $19.98 / €15.74 / £12.73

Qobuz (I bought at @) €13.99 / $17.76 / £11.32

Linn are £18.00 / $28.25 / €22.246 (very expensive!)

Another nice special offer example at the moment:

Duende (with Nitai Hershkovits) by Avishai Cohen (24 bits / 96.0 kHz - Stereo )

Qobuz €9.99 (£8.08 / $ 12.68 ish)

Just keep your eyes open for the bargains and pounce. Their mailing list is quite good or use the filter on the search for special offers. It seems to be a much more professional site than HDtracks and you can actually search properly ;-)

(OK I know you need a VPN or some such and a smattering of French... but it is much cheaper than Linn!)

Well, first of all, most of the HDTracks content is unavailable in Europe. When compared to other European sites like Hiresaudio, they are actually usually a bit cheaper. Unfortunately, due to the old fashioned licensing practices we still really don't have a Global market for audio files.

Anyhow, their special offers are often significantly reduced, like eg the recently discussed Mahler Tilson Thomas recordings that were available for some time at €7 vs €22 regular price. That's why I flagged the current special offer here, I have no affiliation or any other commercial interest in Qobuz. I'm personally unwilling to spend more than €15 on a hires album.