IGNORED

Headphone recommendations?

Good morning.

I am needing to buy my first pair of headphones in many years, which I will be attaching to a Schiit Asgard headphone amp (shown here: ASGARD Schiit Asgard Class A MOSFET Headphone Amplifier [] - $249.00 : Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.).

I would like to spend about $300 USD on the headphones and will need some sort of extension cable for them since I need to stretch them about 10 or 12 feet from the amp to my bed, where I will primarily be listening at night while going off to sleep.

I looked at the CASH list but did not see any recommendations there for headphones. Any advice on which to phones consider here? I live in the US. A friend has some of the new Bose noise cancelling sets but the reviews seem mixed. I do not want something that will fail in a yr. or less!

Also, is there any problem with buying generic cord extenders so I can stretch from my amp to my bed?

Thank you.

~ Jessica

I have been very happy with my Grado 325si headphones & Asgard. I would recommend that you audition them at a dealer first though, to make sure the sound/comfort is what you want. They are an open ear headphone, so they may not be a good solution with a significant other.

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

Jessica,

I screwed up on the example from my previous post. You would need TRS-Straight connectors not TS. Sorry about that.

Here's a revised example. Price works out to about $34.00

[ATTACH=CONFIG]821[/ATTACH]

NP. Thank you all so much for your help!

Good morning.

I am needing to buy my first pair of headphones in many years, which I will be attaching to a Schiit Asgard headphone amp (shown here: ASGARD Schiit Asgard Class A MOSFET Headphone Amplifier [] - $249.00 : Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.).

I would like to spend about $300 USD on the headphones and will need some sort of extension cable for them since I need to stretch them about 10 or 12 feet from the amp to my bed, where I will primarily be listening at night while going off to sleep.

~ Jessica

Interesting .. I just been down the same path. Even have the same headamp - Schitt Asgard. Like you, I am primary using it for listening in my bedroom. So, I sprung for Sennhesier HD 600s .. I picked them up for 390 SGD ('bout 315 - 325 USD).

I have to say the sound from the HD's is extremely good - and the fit etc while "lying" down is fine. I am finding I am going back and re-listenning to a lot of music I haven't listened to since my main setup died ... way back in 2004.

Source: 1.0TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro < FW800> Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

1.0TB WD MY PASSPORT Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

Players (Hardware): MacBook Pro 13 (2011, 10.8.3 8 gig), ATV2

Amp / DAC: Nuforce DDA-100

Speakers: ELAC 201

Software: iTunes & BitPerfect / Audirvana Free / Audirvana Plus / MPD 0.16.6

Connectivity: subject to random changes

I have been very happy with my Grado 325si headphones & Asgard. I would recommend that you audition them at a dealer first though, to make sure the sound/comfort is what you want. They are an open ear headphone, so they may not be a good solution with a significant other.

Grados +10!

For closed cans try Audio-Technica AT-M50s.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

Sounds like you've decided on the Denons but FWIW I've always liked the AKG sound. I have a pair of K271mkII that I find very enjoyable. They use a mini-XLR connection so it's easy to find longer cables on eBay.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

Another good option (great by my reckoning) is the Audio Technica ES10. It comes with a short cable, but a thin extension works well with it. It has a titanium cup, so resonance is more natural than some cheap plastics, with cleaner highs. It is also small, well-made, and very comfortable. It has been my favourite portable phone, except for the fact that its pleather isn't good for crowded trains (I live in Japan) because of sweat. It accepts very strong outputs, has reasonably flat bass-midrange response, and then slightly elevated treble in certain areas. If you know the earphone Audio Technica CK10, this is very much like a headphone version, but with stronger bass response. It does not need a headphone amp, but for use at a bedside, an amp helps keep it from flopping to the ground.

It is hard to find abroad, but here in Japan, it can be found in all major headphone dealers and is always popular. The only other headphone (portable and closed) that I prefer is the Beyerdynamic T50P, but that doesn't work at all in the summer!

TouchMyApps headphones reviews

Likely won't effect sound but if you want a better quality cable, you could have a cable made similar to a MOGAMI® - Gold EXT (10 or 25 ft) for about $28.00 from Redco Professional Recording Equipment Accessories: Shop Our Selection of Audio Equipment Accessories, Custom Engraved Panels and Custom Audio Cables - Design Your Own Single Channel Cable.

Here's an example.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]819[/ATTACH]

+1 That's exactly what i use when I need an extension cable - Mogami Gold. The Neutrik connectors ensure long life too. Just take care when rolling/unrolling as the Mogami is sensitive to that. Redco is great for custom cables, couldn't agree more.

• 1 month later...

Check out the HiFiMan mid-priced offerings. I am delighted with the $700 HE-500s driven by a Schiit Lyr.

Kirk

MacMini -> Audiophilleo2 -> MHDT Havana DAC -> Placette remote volume -> Miniwatt N3 -> Tekton Design OB45

I did some research and was looking in the same price range around 300$ and looked up AKGs website. The Q701 is listed for 499 Euros (~$610!) and B&H sells it for $240. Not quite sure how that works but I ordered it after reading in some forums and I'm really happy. It looks funky (white with lime green cables) and sounds fantastic - definitely a great value.

I was also impressed that it comes with two cables (3m and 5m which both accept the 1/4" plug) although that's not mentioned anywhere on the website.