IGNORED

Best Room Analysis and Acoustic Treatment Package?

Anybody have a suggestion on the Best Room Analysis and Acoustic Treatment Package?

I'd put a budget of around 1,000?

Thanks

Dedicated 20A>>MacBook PRO Core i7>Decibel>Metric Halo LIO8(firewire) or Exasound e28(usb)>RedCo Mogami Multi Channel Snake Balanced Interconnect Cables via DB25 Neutrik Balanced Connectors 3 pin Male XLR-Blk/Gold or BJC RCA Cables

Dedicated 20A>>Dual APC LineVoltageRegulators 1200Wx2>>McCormack DNA 1 DLX mono blocks>Mogami W3104 bi-wire>Aerial 10T v2 Mounted to SoundAnchor Stands+Spikes

Separate 20A>>Dual HSU Research 10 inch Subwoofers

For room and gear analysis, this system for the cost, can't be beat. With a laptop and a few minutes with the quick guide, you'll be up and running with professional results in no time.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=390-792

For treatments, you won't know what to use or where to place them until you've done some measurements. Bass response is usually the most shocking.......and difficult to fix.

• 4 months later...

That's not Mac compatible and $300 is too much since there are free mac programs that can do similarly. Basically, I need to find a USB measurement microphone that's flat to 5hz and mac compatible. Surely there is one?

Dedicated 20A>>MacBook PRO Core i7>Decibel>Metric Halo LIO8(firewire) or Exasound e28(usb)>RedCo Mogami Multi Channel Snake Balanced Interconnect Cables via DB25 Neutrik Balanced Connectors 3 pin Male XLR-Blk/Gold or BJC RCA Cables

Dedicated 20A>>Dual APC LineVoltageRegulators 1200Wx2>>McCormack DNA 1 DLX mono blocks>Mogami W3104 bi-wire>Aerial 10T v2 Mounted to SoundAnchor Stands+Spikes

REW is useful for your purposes. It is free and there is a version for Mac (though not being a Mac user I don't know how well it works on Mac). You will need to sign up for a free user account on the web forum at hometheatershack to get this.

Here is a page on how to make use of it.

Getting Started with REW

Mitcho's link above didn't work, but has good info. Try this link.

Speaker to Room Calibration Walkthrough - Blogs - Computer Audiophile

As for microphones a number of options here. Behringer ECM 8000 is a fairly good measurement mic for less than $60. Goes down to only 15 hz however. You could combine it with a DEQ 2496 from the same people. It has built in abilities to do some EQ, FFT measuring with the mic and lots of other things. It can do what you want, but I find the interface with all of its functions abhorrent and I detest it immensely. Still their mic is pretty good for chump change and can be used with other equipment. I am sure others will have other ideas useful to you as well.

Most likely something like an EMU or other USB box with a mic input to plug the mic into is what you will wish to do. Not sure any terrific measurement mics go directly into USB.

Finally, getting REW onto your Mac and using even a cheap little condenser mic to plug into the Mac itself can be very educational in learning this stuff. NO, I would not ultimately fine tune my system with such a cheap mic, but they are not completely terrible and you learn lots for pretty much nothing. You could even feed the output of the RadioShack sound level meter into the sound card and use it. Been awhile since I did that so I don't remember if RS EQ's the output in some way or not. While learning what the software is like to use you can take your time to decide on a good mic and pre-amp for it.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

how about this? Mac compatible? Creates room correction file for LIO 8 ?

IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System at AMS

IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System

IK Multimedia ARC is a full acoustic room correction system in a plug-in.

IK Multimedia has teamed up with the leading provider of sound equalization solutions, Audyssey, for the production of an innovative, low-cost and mobile solution to correct the distortion problems caused by room acoustics: ARC system.

IK Multimedia ARC Features

The first and only room correction system in a plug-in for DAW-based studios

Includes a calibrated measurement microphone, measurement software and multi-platform correction plug-in

Improves clarity, stereo imaging and frequency response for faster, more reliable mixing

Revolutionary Audyssey MultEQ® technology corrects frequency and phase response not only for the engineer’s ‘sweet spot’, but also multiple points in the room

Step-by-step setup measurement wizard will have you up and running in minutes

A convenient, unique, mobile correction solution for the traveling engineer

Sonically 'treats' your room so you can finally trust the sound of your studio

Natively compatible with 64-bit applications and operating systems (version 1.3)

however, I believe I would still need a mic preamp and connectors. The IK site is not super clear about this...guess I'm not pro enough...LOL

My work setup (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 + Behringer ECM 8000 + REW) cost approx. 200 $ (gave 150 EUR for it).

The Scarlett 2i2 has excellent mic preamps for this price point. For the Behringer there is a calibration file for REW available.

The only remaining thing would be to download a convolver plugin (free e.g. LA convolver plugin for Mac) or buy an EQ (see REW documentation for models that REW can directly export to).

Cheers,

Peter

Home: Apple Macbook Pro 17" --Mini-Toslink--> Cambridge Audio DacMagic --XLR--> 2x Genelec 8020B

Work: Apple Macbook Pro 15" --USB--> Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 --1/4\"--> Superlux HD668B / 2x Genelec 6010A

I use the MP-1r acoustical measurement kit which is roughly $220. iSEMcon GmbH Regardless of what mic you get, ensure that it has been calibrated and you have the calibration file.

Note the mic and kits are typically for 20 Hz to 20 KHz operation. If you want to measure ultrasonic information, then you need to move up to an Earthworks M30 mic that measure up to 30 KHz and is within your budget: Earthworks M30 30kHz Measurement Mic

Like ringenesherre, I use REW, an excellent acoustics analysis package. I also use Audiolense digital room correction software. If interested, you can read more about it here: The Importance of Timbre in Sound Reproduction Systems - Blogs - Computer Audiophile

Cheers,

Mitch

Another option (no personal experience of it but has a good reputation)

Room Analyzer

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Dayton Emm-6 with cal vs Emm-8cal ?

OK - please check my shopping cart

1) Do I have all the needed cables?

2) Which mic preamp or mixer should I use and why?

3) How can I save and apply correction files to the LIO8 ?

Dayton Audio CMX-25K XLR Microphone Cable 25 ft. Black

Part Number: 241-348 In Stock

$17.60 $17.60

Dayton Audio CAXM-1.5N XLR-M To 1/4" TRS Cable 1.5 ft.

Part Number: 241-378 In Stock

$11.77 $11.77

ART Tube MP Project Series USB Tube Mic Preamp with Limiter

Part Number: 245-8604 In Stock

$99.00 $99.00

Dayton Audio EMM-6 Electret Measurement Microphone

Part Number: 390-801 In Stock

Talent MS-3 Low Profile Tripod Mic Stand w/Telescopic Boom

Part Number: 233-020 In Stock

$19.91 $19.91

Behringer 302USB Premium 5-Input Mixer with XENYX Mic Preamp

Part Number: 248-6614 In Stock

$49.99 $49.99

45 Day No Hassle Return Policy Order Subtotal: $246.53

• 2 months later...

3) How can I save and apply correction files to the LIO8 ?