IGNORED

Add sound card to an external DAC

Hi audiophiles,

First, thanks Chris for offering a such interresting site ! The little audiophile word is knowing a deep mutation with hi-rez download and the use of CPU in the hifi. We are part of it and it's cool !

I'm particularry interrested in the hardware issue, as beginner.

Thanks to the cash list, I think I understand that we could link a DAC to the CPU (PC or Mac) with a sound card.

You'll find my question certainly very naiv, but why using a better sound card if it's not to convert Digital to Analogic (you have a DAC to do the job) ?

I'm wondering all the more that on Mac its native sound card goes up to 24 b/192 Khz. So why ??

Looking forward to reading !

Thanks !

Macbook (Itunes - library on HD) via USB --> Peachtree Audio Nova --> Kef XQ20 via cables Maxitrans

Hi La-Bete-24 - Thanks for the kind words. Your question is a very valid one. First, I don't think the Mac's built-in sound card outputs 24/192. It has been said in Apple documentation that it will do 24/192, but not even Apple has been able to demonstrate this for anyone. I've talked to them several times. So, since we can only output 24/96 via built-in hardware we have to look to another device. Some people choose FireWire devices and others may choose a Lynx card like the ones on the CASH List. There are plenty of ways to do this, just not without additional hardware.

Welcome to the site!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thanks Chris for your quick answer !

I get the point (and I must have read something wrong about the mac's built-in sound card).

As I intend to have my first hifi system this year with a new labtop as musical server (macbook), I'll probably keep the built-in sound card of Mac because the DAC I wish to buy is not accepting more than 24/96 in input (Cambridge DacMagic).

This will be enough for beginning and for a non unlimited budget ! ;-)

Thanks again and looking forward to come back at shool (in the Computer Academy !) ;-)

Macbook (Itunes - library on HD) via USB --> Peachtree Audio Nova --> Kef XQ20 via cables Maxitrans