IGNORED

Can I Playback 192kHz Files?

My system only supports 24/96 kHz playback via my USB connection. On HD Tracks there are a few titles only available as 24/192 kHz files and one in particular that I am interested in. My understanding is that Pure Music will down sample this to 96 kHz. Aside from my aversion to paying a premium for something I cannot use is there any audio quality issues with doing this? Anyone have any experience?

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

I'm sure many of us have experience with this ;)

All the current players will resample the music when necessary to match what your DAC can accept. Aside from taking a couple seconds to do that at the beginning of each track (and the player will usually seek ahead, so it will cache the next track in advance for gapless playback) and (probably) inaudible change in the sound quality from the resampling, there is no issue.

I think it's "best" to match you tracks to your DAC's capabilities to avoid resampling, but in the scheme of things, it's not a big deal.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

It also depends on whether you anticipate buying a new DAC in the near future which is capable of playing higher res files.

I bought some 24/192kHz albums several weeks ago - I can now play these without re-sampling on a new DAC (purchased a few days ago).