IGNORED

Genelec vs ATC

I'm a former ATC owner and just started researching the Genelec's. Could anyone compare, generally of course, the sonic differences between these two brands? I'm a former SET/Horn junkie and really like an immediate, dynamic sound.

Thanks for any help.

Digital:  SonicTransporter I5 powered by Uptone JS-2,  Ghent Ethernet throughout, Ultra-Rendu's, Ghent DC cables, Curious and Ghent USB

Living Room:  Rethm Trishna, MicroZotl2, Auralic Vega, Rel E112 sub (High Fidelity ic's, DIY pc's and speaker wire from VH Audio)

Office:  Chord Hugo2, Feniks Essence, Rel 218, Noble Kaiser Encores, PM3

Make contact with DigiPete on this site ... he has the Genelec top of the line

Steve Kuh[br]Mac Mini > Glyph HD > Weiss AFI1 (slave) > modded Esoteric D70 (master) > BAT VK51SE > Classe CA400 > Harbeth Super HL5[br]\"Come on the amazing journey and learn all you should know...\"

Steve is right, I am the lucky owner of a Genelec 8200 series 5.1 setup driven by a Weiss AFI-1 firewire to AES/EBU converter and precision clock.

Check my blog and feel free to PM me or ask question right here.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

I love my ATCs. I was able to audition a 5.1 Genelec set up (do not remember the models, but they were fairly large sized) playing a movie (not music unfortunately) at a Magnolia store inside a local Best Buy and it was very impressive. The room was set up for home theater with some reasonable acoustic room treatments.

Both ATC and Genelec have fantastic dynamics. The midrange on the ATCs is what sold me, but in fairness I did not have opportunity to properly audition the Genelecs.

Please feel free to ask any question.

I think both are quite similar. I like ATC midrange more, and I'm not fan of Genelec's tweeters. Genelec however has in my opinion better imaging/space/3D sound.

If Genelec 8260A is not outside your budget, I'd really recommend giving it a listen. It is, in my opinion, their best speaker so far.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I have the 8260a's here, with a couple of 7270 subs, before buying the Gens I compared to K&H (now Neumann) ATC ,and PMC for me the 8260's were just far less coloured than any other speaker I tried, also they have everything A/D D/A digital crossovers active room correction, just superb,

Keith.

Thanks everyone. The simplicity of going digital out directly to the Genelec's is really appealing. It also sounds like the soundstage of the Genelec's is 3d. I will definitely be checking out a pair of Genelec's. I'm using a Metric Halo LIO-8, so it would be pretty easy to go digital out through that if I wanted.

Digital:  SonicTransporter I5 powered by Uptone JS-2,  Ghent Ethernet throughout, Ultra-Rendu's, Ghent DC cables, Curious and Ghent USB

Living Room:  Rethm Trishna, MicroZotl2, Auralic Vega, Rel E112 sub (High Fidelity ic's, DIY pc's and speaker wire from VH Audio)

Office:  Chord Hugo2, Feniks Essence, Rel 218, Noble Kaiser Encores, PM3

8200 Genelec series is a serious game changer in the active monitor game in quite a few ways.

8260's are defenetely the diamonds of the 8200 series!

- Great speakers calibrated to a terrible room.

- Fantastic speakers calibrated to a walk of the mill living room.

- Invisible speakers calibrated to a perfectly treated studio

7200 series subs provides the most perfect and adaptable sub integration I have ever seen at any price.

You don't have to be a computer wiz, or spend months of optimization. You'll be comfortable within a few hours, and by the you can re-calibrate with a different sub X-over in like 10 minutes on a 5.1 system.

I would choose them over say Bowers & Wilkins 800Diamond's even if the price for the whole system were to be the same and not 5-10 time as much.

Mid/High driver

The Coaxial Mid/High driver technology gives fantastic 3D imaging.

Room correction, DSP and Digital X-over

Gives you a flat frequency response in any room through careful but efficient use of DSP.

No coloration and loss from analogue speaker cables or interconnects.

Works just as well for multi speaker setups.

Sub integration

One or multiple subs easily integrated in the system with variable X-over frequency and automatic phase correction and distance offset by delays.

Cabinet

Light, rounded, vibration dead pressure cast aluminium.

Efficient

Energy efficient, space efficient, time efficient.

Con's

- PCM only, needs AES/EBU input from a precisely clocked source.

- Alternatively does A/D of analogue signal at individual speakers

- Also needs GLM - Genelec Loudspeaker Manager with Autocal to perform control and calibration. Additional cost $875 (Vintage King)

Caleb wrote: do you think he likes them?

Yep, call me a Genelec Fanboy ;-)

The 8260A in particular took my fancy.

Otherwise I might have ended up with Meridian speakers or Steinway Lyngdorf

(I would probably have to win the lottery, but what ever).

I continue to be impressed with the ability and ease of a fully digital, dedicated integrated design for both surround and stereo.