IGNORED

CAPS lite anyone?

maltby

Just bought the Ultra-fi DAC-41, now I need a computer for it.DAC-41 doesn't do hi-rez and I am wondering if I could get away with something less expensive.

CAPS Lite (no SOtM tX-USB, no SATA power filter, half the memory, cheap case)

Jetway motherboard $167.00

DDR2 memory (2gb instead of 4) $53

Solidstate drive $135.00

Power adaptor $23.50

Case (not the Origen) $60

Windows 7 $185

JRiver $50

Total 679.50

Does this make any sense?

something similar put together can be had here...

http://www.mitxpc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=EKJAD5254LM350

I bought a CAPS-1 type server from mitxpc similar to your configuration. Used the USB out though my Wyred 4 Sound Dac 2. It ran fine and I enjoyed it very much. I later built a CAPS-2 according to Chris' spec. I played the CAPS-2 before I sequentially installed the SATA power filter and the SOtM tX-USB. I was surprised that each improved the sound, so I bought a bigger case for the CAPS-1, and another SOtM tx-USB / SATA power filter for it, too. They work fine with the CAPS-1 motherboard and to my ears improve the sound significantly in it also.

Randy

The world is but one country, and mankind its citizens.

Living Room: Caps2/JRiver 19/Fidelizer > Wireworld Platinum USB > Calyx DAC/KingRex PSU > Kimber Heroes > Bryston BP-26/4B-SST > Kimber 8TC > B&W 802D.

Den: CAPS3 Carbon/SOtM USB/JRiver 20/Fidelizer/Uptone JS-2 power supply>Totaldac USB > Off Ramp5/Dynamo PS/Short Block via I2S > PS Audio Silver HDMI > W4S Dac2DSDse/femto upgrade > Triode Wire Labs IC > Bryston B100-SST > Kimber 8VS > B&W SCMS. (Triode Wire Labs power cables).

Randy-

Wow, you have two CAPS, you have used Mitxpc and you have added the filter and SoTM sequentially, just the man I need to talk to, a few questions...Would you care to characterise the sound improvements from adding the filter and then the Sotm? Did you use the origen case? Will the filter and/or the SoTM not fit in the Mitxpc case? Finally, what do you use to remote control your CAPS

@ maltby

In my system adding the filter to the CAPS-2 was a noticeable difference. A little better overall SQ, and also to my surprise the bass was louder - so much so that I tried putting one foam bass attenuation plug in one of my speakers that was closer to a corner. I eventually took it out, deciding that it was not boomy, and that I liked the stronger bass.

So when I installed the SoTM USB card I was expecting a change of similar magnitude. Not so. The sound was really pretty different. It took me a couple of A/B's to determine that it was not only different, but better. How? More like real music. More three dimensional. More involving.

The CAPS-2 I built from scratch exactly according to Chris' recipe with the OrigenAE case. I took out the fan, the screen and didn't use the supplied power supply. (Perfect Home Theater, where I purchased the case now seems to be offering the case without the screen at a reduced price.)

I liked the changes from the filter and the SoTM USB in the CAPS-2 so much, I decided to see if I could upgrade my CAPS-1, which was prebuilt for me in the smaller case. To do this, I purchased a larger Wasena case from Perfect Home Theater that is similar to the OrigenAE and a fair amount cheaper. I switched the parts over, and it works just fine, but I will say that the OrigenAE is a fair amount nicer - you do get what you pay for. Yes, as I recall the larger case was necessary as I didn't see how I could get both the filter and the USB into the smaller one.

Regarding remote control. There are various ways of going about doing this - some of these are discussed in threads on this site and also over at the JRiver site. Most of the time I use the Remote Desktop Connection built into Windows 7 (Professional and Ultimate only, I believe) running the CAPS servers headless, and controlling them from other computers. I also occasionally use an app on my android smart phone called Gizmo, to control it from my phone.

Randy

Living Room: Caps2/JRiver 19/Fidelizer > Wireworld Platinum USB > Calyx DAC/KingRex PSU > Kimber Heroes > Bryston BP-26/4B-SST > Kimber 8TC > B&W 802D.

Den: CAPS3 Carbon/SOtM USB/JRiver 20/Fidelizer/Uptone JS-2 power supply>Totaldac USB > Off Ramp5/Dynamo PS/Short Block via I2S > PS Audio Silver HDMI > W4S Dac2DSDse/femto upgrade > Triode Wire Labs IC > Bryston B100-SST > Kimber 8VS > B&W SCMS. (Triode Wire Labs power cables).

"Yes, as I recall the larger case was necessary as I didn't see how I could get both the filter and the USB into the smaller one."

Randy, if I just went with the filter only, do you thing it would fit the smaller case?

Also, Remote Desktop Connection looks like it requires Win 7 on both devices. I am interested in controlling the PC from a tablet via ethernet/usb, which seems to rule out both Remote Desktop and Gizmo.

@maltby -

Well, I actually had two CAPS-1s for two systems when I built the CAPS-2, leaving me now with an extra CAPS-1. (Of course both were sort of a CAPS-1 lite, as neither had a Lynx card installed). To answer your question I took the lid off the extra CAPS-1 to refresh my memory of its internal layout.

The filter plugs directly into the solid state/hard drive adding possibly and inch and a half to the long dimension. There really isn't any room for it to stick out that far in the smaller case, given the way the SSD is designed to mount in the case.

Tentatively, I think the USB would fit if you were to mount it sideways and had a half height face plate for the rear that would fit in the case. I didn't try that because I bought the larger case.

I was able to install both the filter and the USB into the less expensive larger case, the Wasena, which is similar to the OrigenAE M10. The Wasena is on sale for $67 at Perfect Home Theater, so you would have all your future options open that way.

Randy

Install VNC server on the music server

Install a VNC client "Remoter" on your iPad( if this what you mean by tablet) Works very well wirelessly. Very fast. Current cost is $1.99

Or use Splashtop. Works well but a bit slower and takes a bit longer longer to reconnect (a second or two vs a fraction of a second)

If tablet means a small laptop pc then just install a VNC client and that will work well wired or wirelessly

I believe only Wwin professional versions have RDC server built in but all Windows versions have the client built in. Xp and vista have RDC functionality, depending on version as described

• 6 months later...