IGNORED

Sibelius: Symphonies 2 & 5 - Vanska (BIS)

Downloaded from eClassical. (This is the first album in a new Sibelius series from Osmo Vanska and the Minnesota Orchestra.) Very, very nice all around!

Russell

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

• 1 year later...
Thanks for the recommendation. This recording is available at a 50% discount from eClassical today. I am very tempted to go for it even though I already have a couple of recordings of these symphonies.

I have the 2/5 and 1/4 DL's in this series. They are better readings overall (and sonically much better) than his earlier Lahti cycle, and so far pretty much the only choice for hi-res Sibelius symphonies. BUT - they will not be the final word or the ultimate, the Minnesota playing is at a very high level, but still cannot be as idiomatic as a Nordic orchestra - particularly in 1 and 2, it's a bit too Tchaikosky-ish, 4 is very fine, 5 is excellent but not in the class of Karajan, Berglund, Barbirolli, or a number of others.

Still, more than worth the discounted price!!

I have the 2/5 and 1/4 DL's in this series. They are better readings overall (and sonically much better) than his earlier Lahti cycle, and so far pretty much the only choice for hi-res Sibelius symphonies. BUT - they will not be the final word or the ultimate, the Minnesota playing is at a very high level, but still cannot be as idiomatic as a Nordic orchestra - particularly in 1 and 2, it's a bit too Tchaikosky-ish, 4 is very fine, 5 is excellent but not in the class of Karajan, Berglund, Barbirolli, or a number of others.

Still, more than worth the discounted price!!

Thanks for your insights. Given the low price, I'll go for 2-5 and maybe 1-4 as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Just happened to be listening to this very album when I spotted this tread and wanted to say it's one of my favorites. I also have the second in this series and both are well worth the price of admission and highly recommended.

Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Metrum Hex NOS DAC w/Upgraded USB Module-2, UpTone Regen Amber, Pass Labs INT-30A Amplifier, B&W 802 Diamond Speakers, Shotgun Bi-wire Kimber 4TC Cables. Headphone setup: Burson Soloist Amp, Audeze LCD-3 Headphones.