IGNORED

New member looking for help

Zurak

I'll start with a hello to all!

I can use some help trying to improve the sound quality from my PC. Currently (and shamefully) i have logitech z 5500s 5.1 surround and some sort of creative sound blaster xfi gold platinum diamond with sprinkles edition sound card.

I've never really considered myself an audiophile but as i went to go buy the soundcard for my new PC it occured to me that ive never really been satisfied with my current setup. I've tried asking on several PC forums but i get the usual z5500s are the way to go ect. By chance i came across one post that mentioned this place in passing.

Now i'm here and looking for help. if you know an article or other forum post that covers this a link is just as appreciated as a 5 page hand writen walk though :D

I would love to just install a kick ass sound card in my PC and buy some good speakers but it doesent seem to be that easy. am i stuck between spending 400-500 dollars on speakers and a sound card to get subpar sound or spending 4k plus to get good sound? from what ive seen there really is no middle ground.

if you have a cost effecive solution IE high quality while not breaking the bank for a marginal gain solution I'd like to hear it. Who knows over time i might piece together one really nice system.

obviously i'm just getting my feet wet and would love some input/links ect. thank you all.

-edit- wow i have the problem of thinking faster than i type and leaving entire thoughts out. points i failed to add.

i bring home a good paycheck so cost is not preventing me from doing a nice system, but i dont like to just thow money away either. call me scrooge.

is there a sound card that you guys recommend? I'm having a hard time figuring out which ones are gimmicky and which are not.

are there any high quality PC speakers that i just havent found yet or do i need to get into a serious setup like you guys have. If so, are there brands that would be good to start off with (ie best bang for the buck)

sorry about my random tell me teach me everything first post its just ive go alot to learn and cant find the info i need :)

Hey Zurak, welcome. How much do you want to spend & what is the result you want. If you want true sound you wont get it paying chimps to post you monkeys. There is no quick fix, it's all relevant to your ears & what you like, who gives a flying toss about what someone else wants to listen to, it's yours & you have to listen to it. Go your own way!

BTW these are a good thing.

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/42302-FS-Lenehan-ML1-Plus-Speakers-Lenehan-Ribbontek-speaker-cables

Firstly you need to decide if the 'soundcard' route is the way to go.

Most here seem to have elected to get the sound out of the PC in other ways.

USB is very popular using either USB converters of USB enabled Dacs of which there are many at reasonable prices, an example of this is the Schiit Bitfrost or the MF V-Dac II this will output to 'active speakers' such as the Audioengine A2.

If you want to stay with Soundcards and are really interested in two channel audio the Lynx L22 is absolutely outstanding but pricey. I used one for two years and was always highly impressed - it really fits the bill of 'kick ass'.

Just a few thoughts.

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

get an HRT music streamer and some AudioEngine 5+ (or the much cheaper AE 2). this will fit the budget and sound great. Plus it is a totally simple setup.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Hi Zurak,

I'll just give you a general answer.

First. If stereo sound is what you're after (as opposed to surround) you can put together a really nice sounding system for $1000-$1200. You can get very good quality speakers for $200-$400 the pair, there are many choices. A very good usb dac $350 or less (the MF V-dacII for one). All you need now is an integrated amp which you should have no trouble finding for $400-$600.

Take your time, read some reviews of equipment and look around here for people's opinions. For even better prices and a learning experience check out Audiogon (a very nice used audio equipment exchange--kind of like Ebay).

By the way, you didn't say if you wanted surround sound. If you do, usb dacs won't work, or at least none that I know of. And for equivalent quality to the above system you'll have to spend more of course.

-Chris

Thank you all for the replies. Part of the problem is i'm so new to this that I dont even know what it is that i want yet. I'm going to spend some time looking over some of the items you guys suggested and come back with more questions. Thank you again.

There are so many different directions you could go with this. I'm with you on the budget; I like getting high quality gear and not spending more money than I have to. Like with most things in life, you hit a point of diminishing returns pretty fast. The HRT music streamer II and Audioengine A-5s firedog mentioned earlier would make a nice entry level system for around $450. I would consider going in a different direction though. You can pick up a peachtree decco2 and ds 4.5 speakers for $800 from Vanns: http://search.vanns.com/sitesearch/search?q=peachtree+decco2+ds+4.5. The peachtree decco2 combines an amp with a dac and it has a pretty good headphone amp. This would make a good desktop setup.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

ohh i forgot to add to the other question i was thinking of a 5.1 suround sound system but it seems that it would be pricey.

when people say that i can skip the sound card and do a usb adapter to a receiver i assume ill get beter sound quality from that?

if you guys know a good guide to answer my newb questions id take a good look at it.

I think you're just going to have to do some exploring. I don't know of a good guide that covers all the kind of stuff you're interested in. There are lots of forums, not to mention this one that have advice scattered all over them.

Stereo and usb is the simplest way to go, in terms of very good sound for a reasonable sum from a computer. It's surprising how big and deep a sound stage stereo can give you with good recordings. Most people here seem to go with stereo. I listen to stereo most of them time even though I have the OPPO Sacd/Dvd-A player and a surround system.

A good sound card is also an option. The best sounding reasonably priced cards that I know of are the ESI Juli@, and an ASUS Sonar (I forget the exact model name). I think they both sell for $200 or so. Setup can be a bit more complicated, and they don't seem to be as widely used as USB solutions.

ESI also makes a high quality 7.1 sound card. I don't know how much it sells for, or who sells it though.

If you really want surround for say computer games and the occasional DVD, why not keep your current 5.1 setup just for that, and get a good quality stereo setup too, for your music?

-Chris

bikemig, do you think the Peachtree decco2/ds4.5 combo would be significantly better than the Audioengine A5+? I ask because I got the A2's a couple of weeks ago and really like them. I am not using them where I intended or even as a desktop but they sound so "big" that I moved them right next to my current bookshelf speakers in the living room and much to my surprise I like the A2's better. So I am now convinced I need to upgrade by current bookshelf speakers and am definitely leaning towards staying with Audioengine and mostly likely the A5+. But I am also considering the Audioengine P4's too. Do both of those have a similar sound to the A2's as I assume? And are there any big differences in sound between them? And how do you think those A5+ or P4's would compare against the DS4.5 speakers only with a different amp than the Decco? Another passive speaker I am considering is the PSB Alpha B1's. If you have heard those do you think they would make a better choice than either the A5+ or P4?

Would welcome any comments or recommendations from others that have heard any of these as well.

Thanks in advance.

@roark: I can't speak to the SQ of the Peachtree decco2 and ds4.5 speakers; I've auditioned the peachtree nova and really liked it but with different speakers. I can speak to the A-5s and the P-4s since I own both and have used them extensively. They're obviously different. The A-5s are very reasonably priced, in my opinion, for $300; just add a dac and you're good to go. I use the A-5s in the master bedroom with a SB Touch. They're definitely an upgrade from the A-2s but so would a great many larger bookshelf speakers. The P-4s are a much better size for a desktop. They took a while to break in. They're front ported and are an easy set up on a desk with the N-22 amp (which takes up little space, runs cool, and has a decent headphone amp as well). That said, I am a big fan of PSB speakers and, everything else being equal, I'd opt for the PSB speakers. But the PSB Alpha B-1s and a receiver/amp will run more than the A-5s so it really depends on budget.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

Good news and bad news here guys. Good news is i now how a much better grasp of home theater systems. Bad news is ill be living in an apartment instead of a house for about a year. I just dont have enough time to really do my research and its too big of a choice to rush into.

I've decided to go with a good headphone system for now.

Pc will be windows 7 based.

I was thinking of going with sennheiser hd650s which are around a 300-400 dollar set of phones. I'm trying to figure out if i need to get a headphone amp as the phones are high impedance or if a soundcard with built in amps like the ht omegas or asus xonars will suffice.

if you guys have a suggestion for a better headphone (wouldent mind spending the around 500) id be happy to hear it. i really want the 800s but cant justify 1500 on a headphone even if it is really super awesome.

-ninja edit-

I searched around newegg comments and answered my questions.

The asus xonar with headphone amps will power sennheiser HD650s with ease. Which is good news as i dont have to blow money on a 1000+ dollar amp. the guy who has test with amp and soundcard says there are very slight advantages with the 1000 dollar amp but nothing that would really justify the cost for the average guy.

here is the post i found on newegg

"comes with software which allows amazing control over audio experience and can let you switch between inputs without fiddling around back. Connected to the motherboard AND*directly* to the powersupply so volume will never be a factor. I have the sennhesier HD650's (very nice headphones). I was about to send them back as the volume was so weak. I decided to try out this soundcard to see if power was the issue, it was, i love both my products now that they are combined. Also, the card has amazing EMI shielding (which gets rid of the buzzing sound) that is just.... in a level of its own.

Bottomline:

If you have some highend speakers or headphones and they seem weak, give this a shot. I did, and i dont regret it for a moment"

i think I'm all set for a year guys. thank you again for all your help and i cant wait for my ears to melt in those 650s!