IGNORED

Fleetwood Mac - Rumors - DVDA rip

In the original thread, before this new section, bottlerocket posted graphs from the HD tracks download (24, 96k ?) of Fleetwood Mac's Rumors. The track shown was 'Never Going Home Again', which looked OK both in the headroom and frequency departments, through there were a number of comments about the album being too bright.

Someone wondered what the DVDA version looked like. Since I have ripped mine to 24b-96k FLAC, I decided to run the graphs on my files.

The DVDA file graphs of 'Never Going Home Again' looked the same as the HDTracks file previously posted, But when I checked the 'Dreams' track, I wasn't that surprised to see massive clipping, since it had sounded bad to me, with awful cymbal 'noise'.

I checked out the 'Chain' track and there was more clipping and headroom abuse. I haven't checked out the rest of the tracks yet. I'm curious to see what analysis of these two offending tracks on the HDTracks download would reveal.

I went back to my vinyl recordings and couldn't detect the same problems on those tracks. In fact I quite enjoyed the musicality of my old records despite the significant differences between my less-then-sota analog rig, and my new digital system.

It is odd to see a mixture of proper and improper recording practices exhibited in one album, especially one targeted towards a more discriminating audience, and commanding high product prices. sigh...

Dreams:

Dreams clips.png

The Chain:

The Chain clips.png

• 1 month later...