IGNORED

Stream from MacMini or connect it with a cable?

I asked a bunch of newbie questions on this forum and got some very helpful answers. I am still trying to decide whether to go the Mac Mini route or to invest in one of the Linux-based servers like the Sonore, but I don't think I've found yet the device that does everything that I want it to do. In any event, I am trying to envision using a MacMini (either with my FLAC files converted to ALAC or using PureMusic's kludge solution) and I seemingly can do it either of two ways: (1) I can keep it and the external data and backup drives in the audio equipment cabinet and wire it to the DAC with USB, or (2) I can stream it from a basement location, wirelessly, to the Squeezebox Touch on which I do the bulk of my listening now. (My computer area is in a basement office and the audio is on the second floor living room; construction is lath and plaster, so no CAT 5 is on the horizon, but I do get a great G signal running a range extender in the audio room.)

If I use Option 1, I'd probably use PureMusic to control the music and, if Option 2, Logitech Media Server software. I have remote apps for both iPhone and Android that would allow me to control the playback in either case, so I'd be running headless for the most part; in either event, I'd have to leave the MacMini running all of the time.

Have any of you done direct comparisons between a MacMini running wired into your DAC and the same unit streaming to a Squeezebox Touch or similar device? If so, how was the SQ and was there any difference in the ease of operation? Thanks for any input!

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s