IGNORED

Smart TV as audio source

Hi there

I have a general question on Digital Audio Sources. I have been reading up on Apple TV, MacBooks, Squeezeboxes, Sonos and all kind of nice digital audio sources.

But do we really need this?

My smart TV is (wireless) DNLA capable, it can find my windows laptop and the digital music files I have stored there.

It also has an app for Pandora or any other digital station you want to listen to.

Audio output is assured via a digital audio out.

Now comes my question: is this a good source to feed into my Bel Canto C5i amp with integrated DAC?

Some subquestions with this: I know that my source file needs to be high quality, but I am wondering what is done to this file along the way? From laptop to TV, from TV to audio output. Would it be the same as connecting my laptop via USB to my TV, or is it better as my TV connects wireless and has a digital audio out.

I would love to hear your thoughts, experiences.

So do I really need a squeezebox or connect a macbook to by Bel Canto amp?

Trappistmonk

Macbook Pro (summer '12) - iTunes - $4 optical cable - Bel Canto C5i - Zu Audio Libtec - Joseph Audio RM22XL

This is only my opinion and not my experience but you have some seriously nice equipment there (that Bel Canto is awesome) and using the smart TV as a source seems like a seriously bad idea that I imagine would introduce tons of noise into your system. It may be a visual device and it may be a networking device but I wouldn't consider it an audio device.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

eom

Cheers,

Bill

Mac Mini 2011, 60 gb SSD, 8gb ram; PureMusic & BitPerfect; Wavelength Audio Cosecant V3 DAC; Wireworld Silver Starlight usb interconnect; McIntosh C2200 preamp; pair of McIntosh MC252 SS amps run as monoblocks; vintage MC240 Tube amp and 50th Anniversary MC275 tube amps; Krell LAT-2\'s on Sound Anchors; JL Audio F112 subwoofer; Nirvana SX ltd interconnects and speaker cables and power cords; PS Audio P5

Thanks for the feedback and I will be following your advice of linking up my laptop directly to the C5i ... but ... just out of curiosity and to help me getting started in the digital music world (just got my amp and my speakers will be delivered in about 2 weeks), can somebody explain me why this is a bad idea?

What is the difference between a USB out from my computer and accessing these files wireless via the TV and using the dedicated optical audio out?

Or what would be the advantage of the optical out of apple TV, or is this just as bad?

The advantage would be that I can leave the TV permanently connected and do not need to connect my laptop all the time.

Would a apple timecapsule connected via USB be a better solution?

I am looking for a way that allows me to still use my laptop when I am listening to music.

Thanks for all your advise

Trappistmonk

Macbook Pro (summer '12) - iTunes - $4 optical cable - Bel Canto C5i - Zu Audio Libtec - Joseph Audio RM22XL

The idea of high quality computer audio is to get the music data off your hard disk as directly and simply as possible. It should go to your DAC as 'bit perfect' data and the timing should be right too. Introducing a smart TV, where the audio side, even the digital part is all secondary to the picture, and is pretty low quality stuff, will impair this.

Introducing an Apple TV and the like is adding even more extraneous junk and electrical noise to the chain.

It will all sound vaguely 'OK' but it won't be good.

You can still use your laptop for other things at the same time and under most circumstances it will not be audibly noticeable, unless you want to play CPU intensive games and so on.

An example. Yesterday, out of curiousity I connected my laptop to one of the digital inputs of my mid-price Yamaha AV receiver rather than my usual DAC. Thus using the Yamaha's internal DAC and various other parts. It sounded dreadful. Once I would have said it was OK, but after not too much time working on what you actually can achieve with a properly set up computer sytem, it sounded useless.

LATER EDIT - And if you are ripping CDs use only a lossless process, such as FLAC or WAV. Use any lossy process and you won't get good quality whatever else you do. Don't use Windows Media Player either. It is fine for ripping if you set it up right but is poor for playback as it does not have the options to get it really right. Suggest JRiver Media Center.

Thanks Mark

The "getting it as direct as possible" helps me understanding the principle. It is basically the same as with analogue audio where you want to keep the chain as direct as possible. I never though this would be valid for digital audio as well ...

JRiver was on my list!

Trappistmonk