IGNORED

New setup

JFraser

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but am interested in getting high quality audio for my music coming out of a computer based setup. I'm only 21 years old, therefore have got plenty to learn, so any help is appreciated. Also, I am a student, so my budget is fairly low.

I'm in the process of re-ripping all my CDs into ALAC format (they were previously mp3), however, as these files are obviously much bigger I need more HDD space. I'm thinking about buying a 2tb external HDD; do you have any suggestions? Is it usually fine to just go with a standard WD or Seagate external HDD? I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop, which has limited outputs (3x USB 2.0 ports, and a 34mm express port).

Alternatively, I have an old desktop which I don't use anymore, and it has a Soundblaster x-fi xtreme music soundcard in it, which has S/PDIF output. Should I maybe buy a new internal HDD for that desktop (because at the moment it only has 300gb internal), and use the desktop instead? OR should I just buy a DAC and connect that to the laptop?

To add further complication, I am also a DJ, and I like to sometimes play my music through my decks (Pioneer) which connect to my laptop via a network cable, and they read the files off my HDD.

I guess what i'm basically asking at the moment, is what storage medium to go for, and whether to use my laptop or my desktop.

Many thanks for your responses in advance.

First things first. I use a basic WD external 1TB hard drive to store my music. For me it works just fine. Some may say to use a different bus (e.g. FireWire) than your audio output but not sure how important that is at this stage of the game.

I think the laptop and the desktop each have their advantages. The desktop sounds like you might be able to use as a dedicated music server. If that is the case you could look at OS and hardware tweaks to maximize performance. For example you could look to the CAPS box and add some of the tweaks there like to SoTM filters over time. The desktop also will give you USB and SPDIF and easier upgrades over time.

The laptop is nice because it is portable and if you get a portable DAC you can always have your music with you.

You could still get a external drive for your desktop and then hook up to your laptop for your DJ. If you need network not sure if a NAS would work but may support both desktop and laptop depending on the software you choose.

-Jeremy

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

Hi J. Welcome to PC audio. An external USB drive, with an external power supply would be fine. As for which PC to use, whatever is in less demand currently and repurpose it as a server. The biggest improvement you can make would be an external asynchronious DAC connected via USB to the PC....and that's about as good as it gets for redbook CD playback. The best you can do from here is on the back end with playback gear......purely to taste.

I an surprised that with Windows machines you are ripping to ALAC, which a proprietary (though recently 'opened') Apple product. FLAC is a much more widely used and widely supported process.

Re external disks, I use a Seagate Goflex Home 1Tb NAS drive. You can get them in larger sizes, and the drive can be swapped out from the base. It also has the facility to attach a matching USB drive so you have two independent drives. It is ESSENTIAL that you back up regularly (I do it manually every time I have ripped a few more CDs) or you will evenually lose your entire collection.

I'm not sure why I decided to go with ALAC. As it turns out, I am actually now going to convert all of the ALAC files to AIFF, because that is compatible with my DJ software, whilst ALAC isn't (sigh). I think I will use dBpoweramp batch converter for this. Any other suggestions?

I'm just ordered a 34mm expresscard to eSata adapter for my laptop. So I will connect my external drive to this, and then buy a DAC to connect to my laptop via USB. Does this sound like a good solution?

Also, on the topic DACs, I don't know much about them. I'm a little confused because on some DACs i've seen the option to output in digital; why would one bother to output in a digital signal, when the DAC's purpose is to convert to analogue? Is it common to connect your speakers straight to the DAC via XLR?

These are the speakers I have (which are active monitors)

http://www.krksys.com/krk-studio-monitor-speakers/vxt/vxt6.html

Storage, I would not use a NAS, just an external USB drive which is a much more portable and simple option.

I find the small disc (2.5" drives) variety easier, more robust and better sounding and for you more portable - such as the G Drive Mini series, but do think about your back up strategy.

File Format, ALAC, as an option, is an odd choice unless you are big in the world of Mac. FLAC may seem more sensible but it to has compatibility issues (mainly in the Apple world), my choice would be AIFF (yes it is bigger), has good tagging, and is pretty widely used. NB I don't know about the DJ software world so do check.

LapTop vs Desktop. Given nothing need be forever I would start with a laptop, again for portability. USB out of the computer is the best way to go (much better than the soundcard you have) using a USB to SPDIF converter of which there are many or a DAC that has that capability built in such as the HRT Music Streamer II

You will also need to think about you music playback software, for PC J-River seems popular, itunes will work with PC (may be not optimal), i am sure there are other as well.

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

FLAC is only incompatible in the Apple world, which quite deliberately is incompatible with almost everything. Go down that road and your options become severely limited, all involving you paying lots of money to Apple.The reported 'best' Apple compatible software player is 400 dollars or so, though it is not produced by Apple. Its cost probably reflects the small Apple market. Particularly as you already have Windows machines. JRiver player is a good choice. It downloads and installs easily, has lots of fairly easily chosen options, has a free thirty-day trial, and only costs 40 dollars or so. What more does anyone need?

But if AIFF is lossless (I know nothing about it) and is compatible with your DJ stuff, then use it.

On further thought I agree with the previous appender. NAS gives you wireless via a router, which is convenient at home, but may not be available at other locations. I have however heard that USB drives combined with a USB output to a DAC may be sub-optimal, but have not tried it. Remember that for safety you need two drives.