IGNORED

Fine tuning a high resolution system

shaq

I've definately become a believer that every litte thing matters. I have a great DAC, Berkley, which I use as my preamp, I've gone USB, also Berkeley, gotta special USB cable - what are the next things I need to do to get more out of my system?

I'm thinking I need to isolate my USB on a separate electrical circuit apart from my computer and amp and DAC.

I am covered on top of the list items, such as room acoustics. I am looking for ideas such as home wring, possible power cables, etc. What other fine tuning should I do?

Recommendations are invited. Would also appreciate priorities of recommendations.

Thanks

... a book: "Get Better Sound" by Jim Smith.

Jim, by the way is a member of CA.

One of the keys Jim focuses on in the effect the listening room itself has on the music, especially speaker placement. He's got a fair number of converts and devotees in this forum, and I'm one of them.

And if you're worried you won't be able to justify getting more gadgets, there's a laser measuring tool that comes in pretty handy either speaker placement.

Feed the Berkeley with a Kondo KSL-ACz power lead and sit it on a Critical Mass Systems Black Sapphire Table - both will illicit an improvment in macro detail, space and timbre.

My Macbook Pro was improved greatly by a linear power supply from Paul Hynes Design and sitting it on a Critical Mass table as above.

I am currently having my Berkeley Alpha power supply modified by Paul Hynes and will report back when the unit is returned.

I'll throw in another vote for Jim Smith's book, careful attention to speaker placement and at least some minimal room treatment.

Also -- and I wouldn't be surprised to catch some flack on this -- on a lark, I recently purchased some Vibrapod isolators and cones and put three each under my 2011 Mac mini and its external hard drive, which sit side by side on a wooden shelf (since a Black Sapphire table is not in my budget).

I was hoping for some slight benfit from the Vibrapods (especially since the external hard drive's case vibrates more than I'd like), but I was quite pleasantly surprised at the improvement in sound quality, which was much more noticeable than I'd expected. My impression is that the sound stage is much improved and that there's more detail in upper bass and mids -- I wasn't expecting these results. Also, the mini looks way cool up on stilts.

Usual disclaimers apply: My impressions are entirely subjective, and I have no connection with The Vibrapod Company or The Cable Company, from which I purchased the Vibrapods.

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I'll concur that Mitch's posts are very good. I recently was trying to come up with a definitive set up that would enable me to switch between various formats and not have to change my speaker layout with each change of format. It includes some excellent links. Very technical, much over my head, but Mitch will answer your questions and point out resources. For that matter, Barry is also very good about getting back if you have questions about something he may have posted.

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]