IGNORED

Peachtree Era D5 6Ohm 83dBa amplifier dilemma

@dvzzz,

I'm looking to upgrade my old B&W bookshelf speakers & I'm very curious about the Ascend Sierra-1's. How would you describe the sound? How do they play at low and very low volume?

I'm looking for something with a smooth sound, good detail, imaging & soundstage, but I can't afford to shake the walls (like my Harbeth's can), since the neighbor's bedroom is directly upstairs from where these speakers will be.

Looking the Ascend website, I couldn't find any dealer listings. Do they only sell direct on-line?

Thanks,

Rascal

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2

@darascal

Ascend Sierra-1 has two versions, regular and NrT-upgraded, mine are NrT upgraded and this upgrade is designed to open up highs. I did not listen to regular Sierra for long time, but NrT I have been enjoying for 30+ hours and I must say these are really accurate speakers with absolutely smooth lows and tight mid-bass. Highs are a bit too forward for my taste but Ascend support is quite good, and they are willing to downgrade my Ascends to standard and apparently that will bring down the highs a bit.

Sierra's are honest speakers, if you recording is not great, then it is not on Sierra's. Did you know that Dire Straight's Communique LP is strangely recorded? I did not, this record has best mid's and guitar but lows are all confused. Sierra's present it without compromises.

I really like the Sierra's sound, a lot more than my MBS-01s. In my opinion D5s are very forgiving and exceptionally smooth. Ascends, like I said, are very honest but with good recording, they absolutely amazing across the entire spectrum.

they are online only at this point, I believe, I did not find dealers either. Your risk is shipping to you and from you and to be honest it not that cheap $39 to me and $35 back to them. For $74 you would know if you like them or not. $74 is 8% of the cost of the speakers, so it is not free...

@dvzzz, thanks for all the info on the Sierra's. Not sure if I'm ready to plop down $74 for a demo. But the reviews seem very positive.

Since it's not my main system, I'm not quite as picky, but I think I can do better than my B&W's, though they sound great for a pair of 15-year old $450 "bookshelf" speakers. I may audition some new B&W's, and I've heard great things about the Dynaudio Excite X12's - they're at about the top of my price range.

Thanks,

Rascal

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2