IGNORED

Purchase MacBook Pro--OS ??

I recommend buying a new laptop now with LION. If you desire to test Snow Leopard, install it on another partition and dual boot.

The main thing is to make sure that you run the new MB Pro with plenty of RAM, 8 GB min.

Amarra + Lion on a MB Pro is pure bliss.

In my experience, Pure Music also works fine with Lion.

But if you want to cover all the bases get a used or refurbed Mac with Snow Leopard---a new one won't install or boot into the last generation OS. If you are curious about Lion you can always dual-boot into that from another disk or partition.

But overall I don't think that's necessary.

1) Refurbs at apple.com are literally as good as new, with new warranties. There's often a selection of current and last-gen models.

2) Yes, get more RAM and install it yourself, it's easy to do.

If you are chasing a refurb MacBook Pro, try and get one of the early 2011 models as these will still have Snow Leopard on them, but get you the upgraded i5/i7 processors and more video ram.

Agree you need 8Gb RAM and it is dirt cheap so no need to not buy it, but you can get it after-market from places like OWC much cheaper than Apple.

I have an early 2011 MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.2GHz with 8Gb RAM and love it.

I am running 16/44.1 AIFF files through iTunes into BitPerfect (upsampled to 24/88.2) and out to a CEntrance DACport to a set of HD650's and love the combination.

Have not had any stuttering or freezing issues with BitPerfect that others have experienced and I think it is because of the 8Gb RAM.

2011 MacBook Pro ---> AIFF ---> iTunes ---> BitPerfect ---> CEntrance DACport ---> Sennheiser HD650

Thanks--am using Lion with Itunes 10.5 for now--excellent thru Grace m903 (usb1). Will need to try add-on software player if I build a hi-res collection?? I have multiple CDs ripped to ALAC, so am very happy right now.

PS--I believe the rear USB port on new MacBook Pro (13) is the un-cluttered one.