IGNORED

Headphones (AKG K702?) for peachtree nova

Hi, I'm looking for a pair of headphones in the $300 street price range. The AKG K702 looks like a possibility but I've read they need a strong headphone amp in order to perform well. I've got a peachtree nova and am wondering if anyone has tried the nova with the AKG K702. Any other headphone recommendations in the $300 range are welcome as well.

Thanks much.

I've found the K702 to be really hard to amp. I'm not sure I've heard it with the Nova. At about that price, I really like the DT880 250 Ohms: http://www.headphones.com/Headphones/Beyerdynamic-DT-880-PREMIUM-DYNAMIC-SEMI-OPEN-BACK-FULL-SIZE-STEREO-HEADPHONES-IMPEDANCE-250-OHMS-DT-880-250OHM-56715.html

I think these are my favorite for the price for the simple fact that they're so well balanced (extremely neutral)...tubes really round out the tone beautifully. They're also really comfortable!!

I've owned AKG K702's for a year now. They do require a decent headphone amp, but they're not particularly hard to drive. I'm using HeadRoom's Micro Amp and DAC with great success. One caveat is they require a huge amount of break in time. 300 hours minimum. And seriously consider an aftermarket headphone cable from Cardas, Moon Audio, or Headphile.

Chris M.