IGNORED

Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC Plus Review

This is my review of the Dac Plus. This a very nice unit which has a tube and solid state output which makes it a nice unit for those folks who are interested in tube and op-amp rolling. I changed out the stock 12au7 tube and replaced it with a Psvane 12au7 which has superior bass impact and better balance than the stock tube. I am using the USB output from my CAP2 server and the digital output from my Esoteric DV50s which I am using as a transport. My opinions are based on listnening to the USB input on the unit. The sound is 3 dimensional with excellent detail,ambience,separation and bass. Spatial cues that were slightly audible with my previous Dac are clearly audible with the Dac Plus. What I like best about the unit is the balance top to bottom and the fact that you can listen to your favorite music for hours without listner fatigue.

Johnny

I'm not really great at describing sound and this is my first DAC. I agree with everything Johnny said. But I listen with the solid state output, haven't used the tube a lot, so at the moment the — in my case stock— tube sound a bit 'muddy'(?), I prefer the solid state output. Eventually i'll dig into opamp rolling and replace the tube, just out of curiosity. And I'd like to emphasize the lack of listening fatigue, it really is not there. And since I payed less than the old model, I'm really a happy MM Dac+ owner.

Johnny, or somebody else, could you explain the 'Phase' button, I turn it of as I turn on the dac, because i believe it did some annoying things to some of my music, but I'm rather clueless of it's function.

Macbook Air (2011) /Playstation 3 —> Eastern Electric Minimax Dac Plus —> Naim Nait XS —> Dynaudio Focus 140

Here is Dagogo's review of the amp.

How many ways can you evaluate the impact of a component upon a system? Emotionally; it moves you to tears or makes you want to get up and dance. Fiscally; it costs relatively less than other...............

http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?hArticle=931

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

• 1 month later...

It's a 24/96 vinyl transfer of the granny "scratch-srcatch" in Harry Belafonte - Live At Carnegie Hall that made me fall deeply in love with my MiniMax DAC Plus. When I closed my eyes, it appeared as if the singer was truly standing in front of me. But that wasn't all of it yet. The entire audience was so incredibly real too, it felt scary. With this DAC, a pair of bookshelf-type wallmounted speakers sounds like a pair of floorstanding ones that measure 1.5 meters tall.

In another topic here on CA forum I have suggested the asynchronous USB input of the MiniMax DAC Plus is indeed making it totally unnecessary to be worried about expensive digital cables and transports. In that same comment I posted, I also included the link to that Dagogo review posted here by zerung. The more I listen to 24/96 and 24/192 FLAC files on my DAC using nothing to connect it to my Intel Atom based netbook but an USB cable costing 5 €, the more I agree with each and every single word written in that review. Now, the grin I had on my face during my first listening experiences with this DAC is still there. Only stronger!

If you had the memory of a goldfish, maybe it would work.

Has anyone tried DSD with Minimax Plus? I understand that this is supported.

Your view would be highly appreciated; at least by me.

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

Zerung, he DAC itself does not have a built-in DSD decoder but for example Pure Music player should be able play the files through the USB input of the DAC, although I haven't tested this myself. There is also a DSD plugin available for foobar2000.

If you had the memory of a goldfish, maybe it would work.