IGNORED

Toslink to Coax Adapter

Hi,

This question may be blasphemous by audiophile standards, but I'm still going ahead with it. I have a Benchmark Dac1 Pre with 3 coax and 1 Toslink. Unfortunately, I have two sources with Toslink (Apple TV 2 and XBox 360). Other than buying a new DAC, is there any workaround? Does toslink-to-coax converter introduces jitter or cause the signal to degrade? Any toslink to coax converter suggestion?

Thanks,

Sumit

I've got the M-Audio CO2, and it works just fine. On the other hand, I have no doubt that it probably does add jitter, and the ATV2 has plenty of that in the first place (don't know about the XBox). I can tell you that when I bought the Musical Fidelity V-Link, running the USB output of the MacBook Pro through that was leaps ahead of running the MBP's optical output through the CO2.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

My first suggestion would have been the M-Audio converter Jud suggested.

My first alternative would be to use a manual TOSlink switch such as this --

31ZMATHsakL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (click picture for Amazon).

Second alternative would be to use a HDMI switch with Co-ax output --

(click for Monoprice).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.