IGNORED

Where would I see the most improvement?

Currently I'm feeding music to Emotiva UMC-1 via HDMI from my laptop (JRiver); from the pro its a Lexicon NT312 (Bryston 5B ST) to NHT 3.3's. Now after reading this forum for a number of hours, I've come to the conclusion that my HDMI audio transfer may be a weak link in the chain (I'm also planning on building a dedicated HTPC). So I looked into other options...SO MANY OPTIONS.

I'm torn between adding a standalone USB DAC (Emotiva XDA-1 looks very appealing right now, but is it asynchronous?).

Or using the Halide Design Bridge to connect to my UMC-1 via s/pdif?

What would you recommend? I'm completely open to other USB DAC's also...

I was planning on spending ~$500, but if spending another $100 will get me a lot more quality, I'm on board.

note: Most of my music is 24/96 from HDtracks, and I do have a few vinyl rips in 24/192.

Thanks for any input, your help is much appreciated!

I do have a few vinyl rips in 24/192.

Keep on ripping those the best way possible (don't ask me), and stop with playing the 24/96 HDTracks downloads. You might search this site somewhat further on the latter.

Yes, I was serious.

Regards,

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Doesn't this deserve some other fruitful responses ?

I don't want to say "bump", but I guess I just did.

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

...the Halide Bridge into a Rega DAC. The combo is wonderful, for about $1500.00.

I don't know how your Emotiva compares to the Rega, but the Bridge is definitely great. It completely blew my prior toslink connection (from a Mac) out of the water and even made a believer of my wife when she compared the system with the Bridge versus without it.

I kind of suspect that adding the Bridge to your current UMC-1 is going to be the very BEST choice for $500.00. Almost certainly better than replacing your DAC with another, $600 DAC.

Others, I'm sure, will be checking in here with differing suggestions, but I can't recommend the Bridge highly enough.

-another Richard

Vinyl: Rega P3-24 (a red one), Rega Exact, Mistral phono preamp, Kimber Hero WBT - Server: Mac Mini 2.66 Core2 Duo, 8GB addressable RAM, Lion 10.7.4, iTunes 10.6.3, Pure Music 1.86, Halide Bridge, Rega DAC, Kimber Hero WBT, Denon AVR-2807, pre-out to Theta Dreadnaught, Kimber 8TC, Linn Majik Isobariks "Passive Bi-Amped" and Linn Ekwalls for surround

Thanks for all the responses!

I'm liking the idea of the Rega DAC and Bridge, did I read somewhere that the Rega DAC will only take 48khz through the USB input? I suppose thats why you recommended it in conjunction with the Bridge? Sorry if these are ridiculous questions, I'm still a newb here...

Are there any other recommendations for a DAC? Say around $800 used?

the reason I recommend the Bridge in conjunction with the Rega is that it sounds A WHOLE LOT more musical than my Mac's optical out to the Rega.

I don't think this is because of the greater bandwidth that USB out of the Mac allows, but rather because of the asynchronous nature of the Bridge's connection, which is supposed to lower jitter a substantial amount.

(I use some qualifiers there because I'm not an engineer, myself. I am repeating things I've read in many other posts on this site)

As you observe, though, the greater bandwidth does allow higher-res playback of higher-res files and that's definitely a bonus.

Vinyl: Rega P3-24 (a red one), Rega Exact, Mistral phono preamp, Kimber Hero WBT - Server: Mac Mini 2.66 Core2 Duo, 8GB addressable RAM, Lion 10.7.4, iTunes 10.6.3, Pure Music 1.86, Halide Bridge, Rega DAC, Kimber Hero WBT, Denon AVR-2807, pre-out to Theta Dreadnaught, Kimber 8TC, Linn Majik Isobariks "Passive Bi-Amped" and Linn Ekwalls for surround