IGNORED

Better for me than the Focal CMS50s? And what sub?

If there's a magnetically shielded, Class AB powered speaker with no bigger footprint than the Focal CMS50s but with hands down better sound, please tell me before I buy these! Even if twice their price, I won’t mind.

I need a pair of very small (11.75” x 8” x 8”) audiophile quality powered speakers just for enjoying my CDs and FLAC file downloads. They should have a superb midrange, airy, natural highs (not bright or hissy) and a properly defined bottom.

But I'd gladly sacrifice low end depth and character for the other two IF there's an absolutely first class 8” to 11" powered sub that fits the CMS50s (or your suggested better speaker) as seamlessly as a $500. glove. Magnetically shielded too, please.

Of course, I considered the Focal powered sub but I have a bias (yes a pun) against digital amplifiers. So which, if any, speaker (s) better meets all my criteria than the CMS50s? And what sub (s)? Please advise ASAP!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not familiar with active speakers in the hifi world outside of my NHT xD system, but am quite familiar with active monitors from pro audio world (Genelec, KRK, Mackie, Event, Yamaha, etc.). For the money, pro gears are really hard to beat. They are not designed to sound warm or musical, but rather to be very precise with great detail and flat frequency response.

For the money, I really like how the Mackie HR824 sound. THe new mkII version is even smoother.

BTW, don't be too biased against class D amps...some of the best sounding amps today are class D (Spectrons, Bel Canto, etc.) My NHT xD system is all class D, and it is really fantastic sounding.

Oppo UDP-205/Topping D90 MQA/eBay HDMI->I2S/Gallo Reference 3.5/Hsu Research VTF-3HO/APB Pro Rack House/LEA C352 amp/laser printer 14AWG power cords/good but cheap pro audio XLR cables.

In terms of meshing active monitors with a sub, the Dynaudio MC15 and the Dynaudio sub 250 work well for $2k since the sub has low and hi pass filters.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

They have a wide range of systems. All are designed from the start as 2.1 or 5.1 systems. This is a big advantage in the design of the monitors. The monitors are mostly acoustic suspension.

Your size for monitors points to the Prodesk system. Those are smaller than the System One monitors and sub. Many recording studios use the Prodesk as a mixing monitor.

I have three of the Blue Sky systems. A desktop EXO, the System One, and the bigger boy Mid Blue with an active three way and big push-pull sub.

I first tried the EXO and it replaced a pair of Quad 11L Actives and Final Sound S220 sub in my office. Then a System One replaced a pair of Quad 12L and Quad Lite sub at home. Then a Mid Blue system replaced the Little Blue System One. I doubt if everything will replace the Sat 8 and Sub 212 anytime soon. Scary dynamics. Active four way monitoring has to be experienced.

The Prodesk system will surprise you. I read somewhere that Skywalker Studios uses that exact system in their monitoring rooms.

Look on eBay for deals. I have found a couple in the last year or so.

George

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Paradigm made a version of their renowned Studio 20's and 40's in an active version some time ago but they're not easily found on the used market these days. They have just announced an active version of their popular Atom speakers that will be priced @ $500-$600/pair.

Quad makes active versions of the 9L, 11L, and 12L. I've owned the 12L and they were more of an "audiophile" type of sound, sweet highs, clear mids, warm bass.

I've since switched to a pair of Dynaudio BM5A mkII and couldn't be happier. More of the studio monitor type of sound that I was after, more accurate across the range compared to the Quads.

All of the other studio brands mentioned have their fans as well, Mackie/Adam/Genelec/Focal/Blue Sky. Another line that I've come across in my research on room/speaker interaction is the JBL LSR Series. They feature active room correction and have a handy remote control. I'm close to biting the bullet and trying a pair but will have to wait until the boss gives the OK.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W