IGNORED

HDTrack's "Band On The Run": Any Good?

I've got the uncompressed hi-rez version and it's the best version of the recording I've heard (compared to original CD release and 25th Anniversary remaster CD).

More dynamics and cleaned-up well.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

I also have the DCC version and it is slightly better than that.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Having listened to this recording since it first was issued on every available format [except 8-track] I can say the high res. version is worth having. I can't say it is way more informative or anything like that. I really think the debut solo album remaster is awesome and really glad I have that. Even compared to the original Apple UK LP [on a well set up turntable/cartridge] it is impressive.

I tell you what...buy it. I like to get the downloads directly from Paul's site [as opposed to HD Tracks]. Listen to "The Lovely Linda" and "Junk" and tell me they are low-fi. Bear in mind this was a mother*ucking Beatle who had the bucks to buy decent gear and set himself up in his own studio ***and the good sense to not let Phil Spector anywhere near the place***. I feel there is an immediacy lacking in most recordings. I think Paul was very serious about proving himself on this LP [he plays all the instruments himself with Linda and a very small group of others]. Also, Maybe I'm Amazed is such a great song.

The McCartney II lp tries to recreate the mood of the first and frankly falls wayyyyyyyyyyyy short.

I have the DCC version and it doesn't sound lo-fi at all, so I imagine the new remaster could sound quite good also.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

• 5 months later...

Ok, well, first of all, Lovely Linda, Junk and Maybe I'm Amazed are not on the album Band On The Run.

Second, Band On The Run is, in fact, very Low-Fi. It sounds like crap. I'm not saying that Paul did not have very good reasons for building a home studio, and I'm also not saying that the music is not good. I'm just saying that the sound quality is pretty bad on the master tapes.

Both of the HDtracks versions (with and without dynamic compression) are as close as you can get to the original crappy master tapes. They sound thin, weak, brittle and at times even a little harsh.

You can't polish a turd. Don't waste your money. Unless this is one of your favorite albums of all time, I would stay away from it.

Love, Brandon

\"Don\'t half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing.\" -Ron Swanson

I think BOTR sounds very good, and the hi-res remaster sounds great. BTW, it wasn't recorded in Paul's home studio or in a lo-fi manner. It was recorded at EMI studios in Lagos and in London.

If you're at all observant note the care Paul lavished on the album - starting with the cover and packaging. The production is also hi-level and clearly a lot of time was spent on arrangements, multitracking, effects etc. Much like some of the mid and late Beatles albums

I have the uncompressed version of the s/t album from HDtracks and it is very good. Not compressed, and transferred and mastered with care and restraint. If all hi-rez downloads were done like this I'd be very happy.

By the way, not all of the album was recorded in Paul's home studio. Some of the tracks were recorded at Abbey Road and (if I recall correctly, Trident).

"All Things Must Pass" (which I got from the Harrison website) was done by the same folks, and is highly recommended (at least by me).