IGNORED

Computer soundcard question from newbie

canonlon

Hi,

I'm relatively new to the playback of digital music files via an external DAC to my stereo amplifier. I'm planning to set up the following system; computer (windows based) > to external DAC > to home stereo amplifier. What role does the computer soundcard play in this configuration? When I use the computer software to play the music file does it bypass the computer soundcard and simply be output 'unprocessed', via a USB cable, to the external DAC? Or, does the USB cable, to the external DAC, carry the music file after it has been filtered through the computer soundcard? I'd like to verify this process so I can determine if I need to upgrade the hardware of my computer.

Thanks.

USB bypasses the internal soundcard. The player software will decode an audio file to data that gets passed on to a USB Audio driver. The driver will communicate with the the DAC according to a USB Audio protocol. In between reading the file and outputting via USB, software may process the audio data (for example, apply effects or change volume) such that the output is 'filtered' with respect to the original file. The term bit-perfect is normally used to mean that the audio is 'unfiltered'.

I appreciate your help in confirming that the soundcard will be bypassed. I'll be using dBpoweramp to rip CD's to wav files (same bit and KHz as source). What software program is recommended for playback? And, does the operating system (Windows 7) also need to be tweaked to ensure bit-perfect output via the USB?

Thanks.