IGNORED

Playback via Airport Express and USB DAC

MWG

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to set up a wireless connection to my DAC. Airplay in iTunes works just fine if the DAC is connected to the Airport Express via Toslink, but does not find the DAC if it is connected to the Airport via USB.

Any ideas how I can make it work?

Greatly appreciated!

The usb in the AE express is intended for networked printers, hard drives, and the like; it is not an audio out. Use either an analog or a minitoslink to toslink cable with the AE express.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

Thanks, bikemig. I need to make a wireless USB conection work. Any ideas? Would the Aiport Extreme (as opposed to Express) do it?

Any other known ways to go out of iTunes/Airplay to a wireless device to the DAC via USB, anyone?

Why do you not want to use the optical or analog out on itunes? It works well. The airport extreme will not do "it." What are you trying to do? I'll bet the list will have some ideas.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

No, it's not an issue of TosLink jitter. It's because the USB can do 24/196 and is asynchronous, and the TosLink can only do 24/96 and is synchronous.

Actually TOSLink can do 24/192... And it's a mute point as a AirPort Express only does 16/44.1 and 16/48.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.