IGNORED

Looking for active speaker for desktop setup. Dynaudio mc15 or quad 11L? Or others?

Currently using altech lansing mx5021 and looking to upgrade :) Ive got a Centrance Dacmini to hook up the speakers to. And since i love bass, im going to go with an external sub woofer to go with it. Which would be the better of the 2 between the dunaudio mc15 and quad 11L active

I dont have a home audio system, so this will be my first "audiophile" system (outside of my lcd2) :D

Also for the budget $1500 (exclude sub), is there any other choices suitable?

The BM5A is more in line with the Quad 11L in my opinion. I currently on a pair of the mkII variety and previously had a pair of 12L actives. The Quads were very nice but definitely colored the music more than the Dynaudios do. Both start bailing out below 50Hz rather quickly as well.

One active speaker that I've stumbled upon in my room acoustics research is the JBL LSR4300 series. They have 24/96 DACs in each speaker and use JBL's RMC technology to compensate for poor speaker/room interaction. Might be worth checking out?

I'm interested to hear them myself as JBL's RMC technology gets generally good reviews when it's used as the icing on the cake and the Harman group definitely has been putting a lot of R&D into speaker/room interaction over the past several years, led by Floyd Toole and carried on by Sean Olive.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

I've been thinking of upgrading my desktop rig and I've been looking at active monitors. The Focal CMS 50 get great reviews as do the Adam A5x. One small concern I have with the Dynaudio mc15 is that they are rear ported and everything being equal I prefer a front ported design for a desktop near field set-up.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

may be a little more than you are aiming for, but you did dare say the word audiophile.

The Genelec SE™ DSP Monitoring System will blow your pants off.

Well, I got mine blown off :-)

Do not be fooled by the size.

Start with two 8130A monitors and a SE7261A sub (with DSP).

Later expand with GLM.SE mic and get full benefit of the build in DSP/room correction.

Last supplement with another three 8130A monitors for a full 5.1 active setup

including room correction, active x-overs, bi amping and awesome sound.

Try it out, don't take my word for it!

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

One active speaker that I've stumbled upon in my room acoustics research is the JBL LSR4300 series. They have 24/96 DACs in each speaker and use JBL's RMC technology to compensate for poor speaker/room interaction. Might be worth checking out?

Wont the DAC be a waster since my centrance dcmini already have a 24/192 DAC? Thanks for all the comments guys :)

The Genelec SE™ DSP Monitoring System will blow your pants off. (and my wallet :D)