IGNORED

Berkeley Alpha DAC & Brainstorm DCD-8

Hi all. I'm a new Computer Audiophile poster and was hoping to ask some questions about the Berkeley Alpha DAC and Brainstorm DCD-8. This is a really fantastic community, and the many posts on the Alpha DAC convinced me to purchase one over the Weiss Minerva.

I currently have an Alpha DAC on order which would fit into the following setup:

----------

(Old)

Foobar2000 -> Xonar DX (will be removed) -> Alpha DAC -> BHSE -> Stax O2 MK2

I normally use S/PDIF, and recently changed my output from DS to WASAPI.

WASAPI, ASIO, and ASIO4ALL would consistently BSOD my system every 1-2 hours, and almost immediately for any 24/96 audio. I spent the weekend wrestling with official and custom Xonar drivers before realizing that the ASUS drivers are terrible, tested every other possible issue (from Memtest to cooling), and isolated the problem as the ASUS drivers. Both shared and exclusive mode would regularly BSOD.

----------

(Possibly New)

Foobar2000 -> DCD-8 -> Alpha DAC -> BHSE -> Stax O2 MK2

I'm done with ASUS products and am now trying to figure out how to fill the gap between my PC feed and the Alpha DAC.

I saw that Berkeley Audio's USB converter is $1695 which made me blink. The reviews on this site seemed negative on the more economical solutions (hiFace and possibly the V-Link), so I was looking for an alternative to Berkeley's branded solution and the Weiss INT 202. I also read mixed reviews on the Lynx AES16 feeding to the Alpha DAC.

I've read very positive comments about the Brainstorm DCD-8. It seems like I could use the DCD-8 to go from Firewire from PC to the DCD-8, then single or dual-link XLR from the DCD-8 to Alpha DAC (presumably Firewire would be the best output from my PC). Is there any benefit to having the DCD-8 other than using it as a converter? I'm assuming I can't use the DCD-8 to reclock since the Alpha DAC has no word clock input. Is there any way the DCD-8 would improve the quality of the Alpha DAC other than just being an expensive, but hopefully clean, converter? Is the quality of the DCD-8 high enough that even as a converter, it'd be even with the Berkeley USB or Weiss INT 202?

Thanks for any suggestions. I'm a bit confused on my best course of action here, and I'm hoping to land on a $1-1.5k solution.

Wavelength WaveLink HS -> Berkeley Alpha DAC -> Audio Space Reference 2 -> Woo GES -> Stax SR007A

Hello,

I don't have any experience with DCD-8, but thought i'd share my experience. My setup seems similar to yours, except I have a stax amp, not the awesome bhse. Also like you, at one point I had a xonar card feeding the berkely alpha dac (although I did achieve a stable asio setup at 192khz/24bit with the optical feed), but I moved on to the lynx aes16 anyway just to feed my audiophile addiction and to achieve some peace of mind. ;)

If I were you, I wouldn't drop *too* much money for the link between the pc & dac. While it's certainly important to limit jitter levels, to be perfectly honest, the difference I heard between the cheapo $120 xonar hdav slim and the ~$700 lynx was subtle at best, and this was when listening on my sr-007mk2 as well as on my main speaker rig, whose quality is quite good (and over 15 times the cost of my headphone rig.) So, my advice is to not overspend and look at various "cheaper" usb/firewire options you may come across, including the lynx option.

Thanks for the feedback guys :) Upon doing more research I discovered that using the DCD-8 as an external clock would actually be detrimental to the Alpha DAC, and is not useful unless I have and need to sync multiple digital devices, which I don't. Given that, the only remaining value of the DCD-8 would be whether it's a superior converter to cheaper, quality options such as the V-Link, Audiophilleo, and WaveLink. The INT 202 seems like overkill and, according to some people in listening tests, not even as good as the WaveLink. My friend's picking up a V-Link so I'll give his a shot.

The thing that really sold me about the Alpha DAC over was its strength with high resolution files, as I've recently discovered how great a properly mastered DVDA can be.

The tough part about making the decision on the converter is that there isn't much in the way comparison data, which makes it difficult for me to evaluate reviews such as Robert Harley's. If the regulars on Computer Audiophile state definitively that the Alpha USB takes the Alpha DAC to the next level, above the Audiophilleo and WaveLink, then I'll drop the cash that day.

I was having a lot of trouble with my computer BSODing repeatedly using WASAPI (especially for hi-res files) despite using the latest official and unified Xonar drivers. I removed my Xonar DX card, installed the Realtek drivers, and haven't had a single crash since then. Since USB/Firewire seems like the jitter-free way of the future, I'm hoping to skip the Lynx AES16 altogether. My Alpha DAC is arriving in a few weeks so I've just been trying to figure out what I can do to optimize my setup.

I can't wait for my BHSE. I'm waitlisted, but Justin recently stated that he's finally received all of the parts and is starting PCB assembly soon. My GES actually powers the O2s reasonably well, but there's still some muddiness there, and the bass isn't as clean as I'd like it to be. Everyone I've spoken with who has demoed the BHSE said it's a mindblowing amp.

Wavelength WaveLink HS -> Berkeley Alpha DAC -> Audio Space Reference 2 -> Woo GES -> Stax SR007A

If I were looking to connect my Alpha to a my computer, I'd look at the Wavelink from Wavelength. Also, Analog Research Techologies (the maker of the most-excellent Redbook converter, the Legato) has a new converter on the drawing board:

Welcome to Veloce

It's "only" good for up to 96kHz, but if the sound quality of the Legato is any indication, the Veloce will be a tremendous value.

But right now, my money is on the ever-elusive Alpha USB. It's supposed to be shipping "any day now". ;-)

• 1 month later...

for quite some time now, and I can confirm that it is a great way of connecting my PC via firewire with my DAC (Eastern Electric Minimax with op-amp mods). The DCD-8 to EE setup beats in my system by a sonically quite significant margin the usb connection from my PC via the M2Tech HiFace with external power supply.

There is one problem, though, the Brainstorm DCD-8 drivers are not updated, and you may get problems connecting it to a Windows 7 64-bit PC.

In any event I am running it under Vista now (have installed a dual boot system on my Media PC) and I never had a BSOD event.

I am regularly playing back 192kHz files, using WASAPI and WASAPI Event, ASIO and KS, with WASAPI being the preferred playback mode.

alan

mistake, sorry

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your thoughts on the DCD-8! Just out of curiosity, have you tried any interfaces beyond the M2Tech HiFace?

That's unfortunate to hear about the drivers, though... I use Win7 64-bit as my music server, which is why I had to pass on the Metric Halo as my DAC.

I've read negative comments on Brainstorm's responsiveness. Basically, a lot of folks said they don't respond to emails. If there's poor Win7 64-bit compatibility, I'll have to pass on this one.

The Apogee Big Ben and Antelope Isochrone DA seem like two other promising options.

I've seen a few Alpha USBs go up for sale these last few weeks, and people said it did improve playback but not by enough of a margin, so I've started looking at other interfaces again.

Hi Elysian, I have also tried, early on, the E-MU 0404, but it was no match for the HiFace.A fortnight ago I had finished my new music server (based on parts suggested by Dr. Bill Gaw in the AA [chapter 139?] section of Enjoy the Music) with a W7 64-bit OS. When I could neither get the DCD-8 nor the digital output of my Xonar Essence ST going, I installed Vista 32-bit in dual boot mode, and it all works like a charm now. Interestingly enough, I have more OS problems with my Sony windows 7 64-bit notebook, than with my old vista notebook. That's why I had no problem to move back to Vista, which in my setup is by now more stable than W7.Yes, I have the same experience with the Brainstorm folks, in particular when I inquired about their W7 drivers. Despite mailing Bernard Frings directly, who is their head honcho, they are incommunicado - He may still answer, though.I also have an Apogee Big Ben (in a different system), and it is a sonically very satisfying machine, but you still need an interface to connect the Apogee to your music PC. I am using a Focusrite Saffire, but it is limited to 96 kHz. For this reason I went with the DCD-8 and never really regretted it.As my EE Minimax DAC only accepts single wire AES for 192 kHz signals, I also have an RME ADI-192 in between the DCD-8 and the EE Minimax, which is clock synchronized by the DCD-8. The sound this setup is generating is just great and is so difficult to better with my vinyl front end that I am looking now into buying a new phono pre-amp.It is a never ending chase.

Cheers

alan

I'm locked into Windows 7 64-bit, so I guess I'll have to keep looking. I'm still on the fence about the Alpha USB, and have unsuccessfully been trying to find impressions on the SotM dX-USB-HD. I've heard good things about SotM's USB PCI card from industry folks, so I'm wondering if their interface does just as good a job at noise isolation.

http://sonore.us/SOtM.html

It still seems uncertain whether the Alpha DAC benefits from reclocking, but the consensus seems pretty unanimous that the Alpha DAC does benefit from noise reduction/isolation.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,Elysian.

I'm using DCD-8 as a firewire audio interface and reclocker for more than 1 year.

Recently I replaced CHORD DAC 64Mk2 with Alpha DAC.Now I have similar setup to yours.

At first I compared clock accuracy of DCD-8 internal with Lynx L-22's internal.

Then I could notice almost no difference between them. As long as using DCD-8 with internal clock,it doesn't work more than a firewire audio interface or a DD converter.

8 month ago,I eventually got Thunderbolt GPS Satellite Master Atomic Clock Receiver from eBay.I connected to put 10MHz clock signal from Thunderbolt to DCD-8.

Then I was really amazed at huge improvement in sound stage,and transient.

When I change the clock reference on DCD-8 between internal and 10MHz,I can notice the difference clearly.

So in my case, my conclusion is DCD-8 proves its merit with 10MHz external clock.

Undoubtedly,Alpha DAC has excellent internal clock.But I believe the cleanness(accuracy) of digital signals in the upper stream must have an effect in total sound quality.

enken is listening to Windows7 64bit PC WASAPI playback with JRiver MediaCenter17 > Brainstorm DCD-8 with Symmetricom LPRO 10Mhz Rubidium master clock > Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC > Accuphase C-2810 > Accuphase A-45 > B&W Signature Diamond

I finally got my DCD-8 running under windows 7 64-bit two days ago. Stupidly enough the drivers that Brainstorm has on its website do not work with windows 7-64, but by coincidence I found the widwos 7 64-drivers on one of my harddrives - probably saved from the installation disk that I lost - and now it works like a charm. From what Enken said, this appears to be a very viable solution for you.

Hi Enken, is the word clock you are using identical to the Trimble Tunderbolt E GPS Disciplined Clock? If so, I will buy it instantly, as your experience with this clock sounds very promising indeed. From my own experience with external clocks I am a firm believer in precise clocking, and your own setup appears to be good testimony to this too.

alan

Hi,alan_un.

Yes,I have Trimple Thunderbolt.

I´m not an electric guy,but setting up was easy because the item I won came with suitable GPS antenna and power suplly.

By the way I will be happy if you let me know the version No. of the DCD-8 driver you are running on 64bit Windows 7.

My current driver version No. is 3.5.3.8786 and I´m planning to replace my PC´s 32bit with 64bit.

Thanks.

enken is listening to Windows7 64bit PC WASAPI playback with JRiver MediaCenter17 > Brainstorm DCD-8 with Symmetricom LPRO 10Mhz Rubidium master clock > Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC > Accuphase C-2810 > Accuphase A-45 > B&W Signature Diamond

Hi Enken,

The DCD-8 drivers that work for me were in a zip file DCD8_Drivers_353_PC.zip. The driver number of these is identical to the number you mentioned 3.5.3.8786. So you should be OK with your current drivers. If for whatever reason you have problems with your drivers, just mail me and I will send you the driver file I have.

I have started to acquire the Trimble Thunderbolt with Antenna, and power supply from a chap in Hong Kong. I hope to get it delivered there soon.

alan

Hi,alan.

Now I'm enjoying playback from 64bit Windows7 PC with JRiver MC16.

DCD-8 is working with no problem.Thank you so much for your information!

I hope you finish the setting up of Trimple Thunderbolt successfully.

This is just perfect Enken. Your sound must be a delight.

I am very happy with my windows-7 64-bit setup and have assembled my own music server for this. It probably even trumps my vinyl setup.

How do you listen to 192 kHz files? I had this problem when I realised that the DCD-8 single wire AES and its P/DIF is limited to 96kHz. When I realised that the DCD-8 puts 192 kHz and 176.4 kHz out on dual wire AES, I bought an ADI-192 DD to convert from dual wire AES to single wire AES and can now listen to 192 kHz and 176.4 kHz without problems on my modded EE Minimax Tube Dac.

The DCD-8 and ADI-192 DD clocks are synchronised in a way that the DCD-8 provides the mater clock. This is why I am very grateful for your suggestion about the Trimble Thunderbolt. I am sure it will add even more to my front end setup, and I can hardly wait to take delivery of this nifty little toy when I am back in Hong Kong. Comibined with the new MKII Eastern Electric Minimax Tube DAC, which is waiting there for me, it will be some great fron-end.

What I am still looking for is a high quality tube DAC with word clock input, which would allow me to use the DCD-8 augmented by the Trimble Thunderbold as master clock for the entire front end.

I haven't seen such DAC yet. Any suggestions?

Cheers

alan

Hi,Alan.

As far as I know,no tube DACs have word clock input in Japanese market.

All music files in my library are 44.1/16 and I re-sample them to 88.2/24 with JRiver MC16.Because unfortunately, my favorite artists have released no high definition sources.(except The Alan Parsons Project)

I have another PC equipped with Lynx AES16.I connected AES16 and Alpha DAC directly to check 192/24 files in "HRx Sampler1" disk came with Alpha DAC.Then I was really amazed at the quality of high definition sources.

I don't consider resampling 44.1KHz files to 192KHz so far because 88.2/24 sounds good enough.But I will face the same problem as yours in the future, when high resolution sources are distributed widely in Japan.

By the way my ultimate goal is to hear high end analogue(vinyl) sound from digital sources and systems.

Thanks.

Hi Enken,

You are right, there are few tube output stage DACs to start with and none with a word clock input. Funny to see that, as experience - certainly yours with the Trimble Thunderbolt - seems to demonstrate how much high precision clocking can imporve the sound quality even of very high standard DACs as the BADA.

I will try to talk to Alex Yeung in Hong Kong to see if I could interest him in adding a clock input into my new MiniMax DAC Plus.

As to high resolution music files, have you tried HD tracks? They have a reasonbly good selection of high definition music.

You may also want to check out avaxhome.ws

Cheers

alan

Hi,alan.

My cousin belongs to an amateur orchestra as a violinist.

I attended to concert of her orchestra yesterday and enjoyed their outstanding performance.They played Mozart Symphony No.41 "Jupiter" and Brahms Serenade No.1, Op.11 very well.The audio environment of the old hall was pretty good.So it was also an interesting experience for me to check how the real instruments sound like.

I downloaded 24bit/96KHz files of Mozart Symphony No.41 from itrax.com 1 hour ago.Now I'm listening to them and just amazed at the feeling as if the real instruments I listened yesterday are sounding so strong and smooth right in front of me!

Hi enken,

Comparing what comes out of your system to live music is the ultimate gauge of how good your equipment renders what the musicians wanted to be heard. The experience of your cousin's Jupiter symphony live rendering repeated through the itrax download replay is a clear sign of how good your system is now. In my own limited experience I would put this down mainly to the precision of your clocking. Of course, your system overall is high class, but the front end, I think, is bringing you the music in a way that can really compare to a live orchestra.

I will be back home in Hong Kong in a couple of days and then it's back to vinyl. Funny enough, with my vinyl setup I am chasing know the detailed, open musicality of my computer based system, though my vinyl system has overall higher quality components. I think the problem may be my phono preamp, which is an old AR PH3 that needs to be replaced as soon as I have made up my mind what is definitively good. I heard good thinks about the Emille Allure, but also about the Fosgate Phonoamp. Of course you won't have this problem, as your Accuphase premap has a truly high class phono stage.

alan

Hi,

If I were looking to connect my Alpha to a my computer, I'd look at the Wavelink from Wavelength. Also, Analog Research Techologies has a new converter on the drawing board:

It's "only" good for up to 96kHz, but if the sound quality of the Legato is any indication, the Veloce will be a tremendous value.

alan,

I must say thank you for your info about high definition music downloading stores.

You have awesome analogue components.I know some Japanese audiophiles rate AR Limited model2 pre amp very highly.But unfortunately AR products are quite rare in Japanese market.So I've never had an opportunity to listen to AR's amps.

I guess whichever phono amps you choose,you will not fail to upgrade your analogue system.Currently I am using Audio Technica MC cartridge.I think I should go to DENON's MC next time.

By the way when I play 96KHz files from JRiver MC16,the display of Alpha DAC sometimes indicates "88.2".It seems strange because DCD-8 can send up to 96KHz signal with single wired AES connection.Playback is normal whether the display shows 88.2 or 96.

could be the reason for what you see as 88.2kHz playback of 96kHz files, Enken.

In my opinion, however, there could well be other reasons that trigger the BADA to display 88.2kHz. The DCD-8 output clock rate could, for whatever reason, be set to 88.2 kHz, which would cause the BADA to show 88.2 kHz. Alternatively, what was orginally downloaded as 96kHz could in reality be 88.2kHz. One way of testing this is to take the original file and putting it through a software upsampler, such as NCH Swift, Audio Transcoder or Voxengo's r8brain, or any other soft upsampler for that matter and "upsample" it to 96kHz. If the BADA still show playback in 88.2 kHz you need to check the settings in your DCD-8. Alternatively, the BADA may indeed simply show the wrong sample rate, which is not too likely. If the BADA shows 96kHz, then your orginal file was lower sampled than indicated. It would be quite interesting to know what causes the BADA to show 88.2kHz.

I will be in Hong Kong in two days and hopefully can listen there to the Fosgate phono. I have heard only good things about it. Once there, I will also take delivery of the new EE Minimax DAC plus, which we will compare to an older dCS Elgar. This will be quite some fun.

alan

Reading thro' the comments looks like there might be a method to get >96K AES Single wire out of the DCD (with help of an extra instrument) ? I am very satiasfied with the system currently (AES16->DCD8 fed 10Mhz -> 2xZodiacGOLDs. One is fed via the SPDIF out of the DCD & the other AES). But as rightly pointed out below, I am only able to get upto 96K re-clocked out, as the DCD gives out only 96K Single-wire AES out. So I have 2 questions :

1) What is the cheapest solution to add on to the existing set-up to get AES out from DCD into the DAC, so I can get 176/192 (like form the SPDIF) &

2) What changes should i make in the DCD ?

Any hints/help appreciated.

Thanks...

signals with >96kHz can get out of the DCD-8, but it requires additional equipment. After some research I bought the RME ADI-192DD, which converts dual wire AES in to single wire AES out. With this I can easily get 192 and 176.4kHz dual wire AES out of the DCD-8 which the ADI-192DD converts into single wire AES for input to my EE Minimax DAC. The ADI-192DD is clocked by the DCD-8, and this gives me a pretty good and natural sound without any digital artifacts.

I don't think you can get >96kHz out of the DCD-8 by using a single wire S/PDIF connection. It will play, but the sound will likely miss one channel. I had this problem with single wire AES out. The way I understand the DCD-8 manual, only fw or dual wire AES can reach >96kHz out.

Sorry, but I cannnot offer any better solution

alan

Thanks for the fast reply Alan.

Do you know if I can feed the DCD with 176/192 (as I do today) directly thro' the LynxAES16 ? Today there is a single wire AES out from the Lynx which is fed to the DCD. But I assume this input shall also need dual-wire input, if we are discussing >96K...right ? Assuning so far I correct, that would mean I would need dual wire-output form the Lynx, which I am not sure if I can do ! Am on the right path here or lost ?

Appreciate your taking the time.

Rym