IGNORED

Best storage option for size, sound quality and speed

I realise that the "3 pillars of data storage" - storage size, sound quality and speed of data access, may not all coincide together.

I was wondering if anyone had any expertise on the best way of linking in a 3TB of FLAC music collection with a PC based server, such as the CAPS.

I guess that solid state drives are out due to the size. Are there any differences in speed of data access or sound quality when comparing, say:

- hard disks on a NAS, connected to the CAPS via ethernet cable

- hard disks on a NAS, connected to the CAPS via USB or firewire cable (or other cable)

- external hard disks, not in a NAS, connected directly to the CAPS via USB or firewire (or otherwise)

Or any better alternatives?

Thanks !

There are 2 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Accessing the data over Ethernet has one major advantage: galvanic isolation. Hard drives are electrically noisy, which can have serious implications for SQ if it happens inside your music server. Using an Ethernet-based NAS also makes it easier to share the files among multiple computers, which may or may not be useful in your setup.

homebuilt Debian HTPC with MPD —HDMI? Emotiva UMC-1 pre/pro ? Carver AV-705x amplifier ? Atlantic Technology 2400 speakers, Monitor Audio ASW210 2x10\" sub[br]Alix 2d2 with VoyageMPD —USB? Audio-GD NFB-12 DAC/headamp ? Grado Labs SR-80i headphones