IGNORED

This might be a stupid question. . .

Ok. . no one kill me with this question but why do some preamps/integrated have bass and treble control and others don't. If there is bass and treble control does that automatically mean there is an analog to digital and back conversion if you feed an analog source into the unit? I always thought bass and treble control were digital functions? Guess I'm confused. . .

jimi

jimi,

The presence of bass and treble controls is more of a design perspective than anything else. Think of these controls as a simple equalizer. Since most high-end manufacturers strive for the straightest signal path along with sonic purity/truth, they don't include tone controls. You will typically find them on either older equipment, or

mid/low fi equipment.

There is no relation between bass/treble controls and A-D-A conversion. . .tone controls were in existence long before digital.

HTH. . .

Bob

BPT 3.5 Ultra/Reference 3A Reflectors/MSB Technology S201 Amplifier/MSB Technology Analog DAC/MSB Technology Network Renderer/Audirvana +

Never thought about tone control being around before digital . . . true though. Good fact! lol

It just came up cause I was looking at Marantz's new 8003 integrated and saw how it had a diect mode on it like a reciever sometimes does and it got me thinking! That happens alot with me. . .