IGNORED

Imac and airport vs mini mac when playing to a DAC

I am new to music server, but not to high end audio. I am currently in the thinking / design phase of buying a music server. I want to stay Apple since my home is Apple.

I have been looking at the Mach 2 modification of the Mac Mini and play it through a Peachtree, Ayre, or Benchmark USB Dac. However, I was in my local high end store to listen to the Peachtree and they played some music that was streamed from an Imac to an Airport Express and then into the Peachtree IDAC. It was amazingly clear and rich.

Can anyone chime in on the advantages / disadvantages of the two following setups

1. Imac to airport express to Peachtree Idac

2. Mac Mini as modified by Mach 2 used only for music server hardwired to Peachtree dac using usb.

As a high end audio user, I am aware that dedicated equipment and hardwiring is always best. However, with the fact that the data is digital to start with, does the wireless really hurt. And, will the clock management and the upsampling of the Peachtree accommodate for the fact that my computer is not dedicated to music.

I can't answer your specific question but I have had both an iMac streaming via Airport Express (built into a Time Capsule) and now a Mac Mini in my system. The first thing is support for 24/96 (or more) files. Although the availability is limited at this time I believe this will be a growing factor for any music library. That is one reason I opted to add a Mac Mini. The other is that I simply like (as I mentioned in another thread) the form and function of a Mac Mini closely integrated into my audio system.

As I said I cannot address things I have no experience with like the DACs in question or the Mach2 modification of the Mac Mini. Whichever direction you choose enjoy.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

I would recommend the new top of the line iMac (16GB + SSD) if money don't matter.

But if you only want a dedicated server and nothing else then Mini would serve you as well but make sure to add SSD as it makes a huge difference.

Not a great option for audio if SQ is priority.

I have a decent MacBook which i use via USB for my main system, I have tried using an airport and the quality drops significantly.

Two main issues:

1) The optical out of the Airport just cannot compete with Async USB and that is before the potential drop out via wireless. I have also tested optical out of the Macbook vs Async USB and that is also inferior.

Obviously the DAC output on the airport express is not worth considering!

2) Everytime a separate demand is made of the wireless I get drop out and that includes the iPad remote i use...

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers