IGNORED

USB Streaming Issue

I recently installed a 50' run of cat 6 cable to stream music from my PC to my Benchmark DAC1 HDR's USB Input. I am using a USB Extender on each end due to the long run. When I click on a music file to play I get the following message:

"Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct."

Any idea as to what the issue is? Thanks.

Have you tried connecting the DAC directly (without extender)? That would help see where the problem is.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

The extender allows me to go from USB to an Ethernet connection so I can't go direct except for short distances. I did have another 50' run of Cat 6 cable lying around and tried it in between my PC and desktop DAC and loudspeakers with the same result. To me it looks like the extenders just aren't doing the job.

I understand the point of the extender...

I was meaning "for testing" move the DAC next to your computer (no need for any output from the DAC). The error doesn't sound like anything related to the DAC or extender...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

The error doesn't sound like anything related to the DAC or extender...

I think it can be related to the extender;

USB is fairly time constraint when it comes to latency round trips, and such an extender will add a relative huge amount to that.

If this is the cause, you can try to solve it with changing the streaming buffer size in the driver. But I'm afraid no such setting is in there ...

But if there is, try higher as well as lower; both can help.

Of course you should try it without extender in the first place. That must run first.

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)