Hello Everyone,

I have recently received my MF V DAC from the US (I live in Pakistan). I ordered it from Amazon and a friend carried it to Pakistan for me. Upon receiving I could not wait to hook it up and listen to my favorite tunes. I put the power supply in the electrical socket without realizing that in Pakistan the voltage is 220 instead of 110 in the US. The result was the familiar burning smell that we amateur tinkerers are so familiar with. I took out an old power supply that I got with a cable modem I once used. I have two questions that I would be grateful to get answers for:

1. The power supply has an output of 12v, 1 amp, whereas the power supply that came with V-DAC was 12v, .5 amp. Will this decrease the life of the V-DAC?

2. In the package of V DAC, I got two cables that seem to have no used for the V DAC. I am attaching pictures of these cables. Can someone tell what these are for?

Best,

Farrukh

I'm glad you like the VDAC, I have one and enjoy it as well. Using a power supply with more power (1 A vs 0.5A) won't hurt anything, it just means the power supply can provide additional current if required. As long as the voltage matches and you get the polarity correct you'll be fine. (obviously you have). Those cables stumped me. I didn't get any cables with mine. The one looks like a USB connector to connect from the USB port on your computer to the one on the VDAC. The other one is a mystery to me...

Happy Listening!

Ray[br]Viola Player| Parasound HP-850, Acurus A100, Technics SL-M3, Velodyne SPL-II, Mirage Omni 250, Musical Fidelity V-DAC

The other cable looks like the cable my daughter got with her digital camera. It's used to play movies on your TV (yellow = video & white = audio).

KK

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

The USB on the V-DAC only supports 16-44.1 not high res.

You'd have to add the V-Link (or other device) via SPDIF to enable 24/96.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I have attached my Cd player via coaxial connect (using Oehlbach RCA cable) and my WD Media Player via the Toslink connect. While the TOSLINK is giving excellent results, the coaxial, disappointingly, gives a horrible static sound. Can anyone help? Is it because of using RCA cable? Is it because the coaxial and Toslink cannot be connected at the same time? I have taken out the Toslink to check but the problem persists. Please help. I have spent 400 dollar already on the DAC, power supply and the cable connects.

Have you (can you?) try the CD player via optical?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I just bought a v-dac from Amazon and I wanted to see if I understand this. It will provide converion only to 16/44.1 files, if I want to use it with hirez files like you get off of HDtracks you have to get a V-link as a companion. And would the hookup go something like this?

From the PC to the Vlink via USB.

From the Vlink TOSLINK to the V-Dac Toslink Input,

V-Dac out via RCA's to the back of my Amlifier.

Do I have that right?

And If I skip the V-link its just into the PC via USB and then out to the Amp via RCA's ?

I've only DL one album from HD tracks, but I might have to spring for a V-Link.

Yes, Scarpad. You are right in the sequencing of gadgets (V-link and V-DAC) if you want to play high res from your computer via USB. If your computer has a digital out (toslink or coaxial, then you can connect it directly to V-DAC. However, even if you play it through USB, you will hear marked improvement in quality. I am playing my high res files via WD HD Media Player connected to V-DAC through toslink. I have also connected my DVD player via coaxial and I connect my computer through USB.

You have bought a good piece of equipment you won't be disappointed, no matter what you play with it.

Farrukh

I am very impressed with the marked improvement I get just out of the V-Dac, most notably in the vocal and midrange areas. It has a bredth or expansiveness just missing before. My PC does not have a toslink out, even thou I don't have many hi res tracks I plan to buy more. So I think I'll pick up a V-Link. Now does the v-link require power? I've ordered a 12v power supply for the V-Dac, I imagine I could run both off of it.