I think it sounds great. I guess I have low standards. :)

For the people posting negative feedback on the sound quality, is it simply the DR stats you are disappointed in, or, is it the subjective sound quality. I can't believe someone can listen to this album and claim the sound quality is bad and poorly mastered.

i guess I am a Beck apologist also. I find it hard to believe that you could listen DR unknown to you and walk away saying the quality is poor. I can throw a tennis ball to the back of the soundstage here! But hey, what do I know. Different strokes. It would be a boring world if we all liked the same things.

Worth a shot if you dig Beck/Ryan Adams/Lamontagne

I know rap/hip hop is not one of the more popular genres here on CA, but there really is an amazing diversity within this musical form. It is not just "boom tizz tizz boom".

A good example of the intelligence and diversity within the genre is the new album from Kid Cudi, "Satellite Flight: The Journey to Mother Moon". If you haven't ever explored the genre, you may be very surprised. I highly recommend checking out this album. Even if you do not like it, you will be educated as to the breadth of this type of music.

Kid Cudi - Satellite Flight: The Journey to Mother Moon

Did not know there was new Cudi out there. I will check this out today. Will echo that Cudi has never been a rinse and repeat artist, much more clever and musical than the average. Absolutely worth a listen.

Thanks for posting the Deepchord, enjoyed exploring some of their stuff last night on MOG.

Mehliana - Taming the Dragon

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11140[/ATTACH]

Mehldau puts together some great synths, but it's Giuliana who really shines for me. Saw them last year and spent most of the show dumbfoundedly watching Giuliana split beats into a million pieces.

This blew me away today on MOG. There is nothing out there with this sound. Very cool and nice to see Mehldau pushing boundaries.

J. Espinosa's Redbull Set (warning, some strong lyrics):

I have no idea how they do what they do, but it is amazing. Could watch that all day. 13:40 to the end was the nuts after the beginning. What a way to stick a fork in it.

Well that just set the tone for my day!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Roy Hargrove Quintet, Earfood

51iz03nraCL._AA160_.jpg

Really good stuff and the sound reminds me of the late 70's when I worked in a jazz club. It's a studio recording but has a live feel to me.

Chris

Check out Gerald Clayton who plays piano on that recording. I think that you would enjoy his solo stuff, he is very talented.

Thanks for the recommendation. I listened to these:

41Fm8IOOd%2BL._AA160_.jpg

Very nice trio recording,

and

61ZcpSWLhiL._AA160_.jpg

Live Forum, a larger group that includes some voice. I liked this a lot too, except that I can almost always do without spoken word which mars some of the disc for me. Love the sq on this one particularly.

Chris

Cool! If you would allow and indulge me to send you further down the rabbit trail of that recording...... Check out Gretchen Parlato who is the female vocal (all credit to Musicophile on the introduction). If you are intrigued you will not be disappointed.

Totally agree with you on the spoken word as it often can get in the way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A couple of things that I have been listening to this week. I have found Ambrose Akinmusire to be an absolutely transcendent talent in the jazz world today. I would highly recommend checking out his last two albums. Also, many of the musicians that have collaborated with him along the way are outstanding in their own right. Walter Smith is one of those. His album is excellent. I would encourage you to "pull the thread" that connects these artists and explore those supporting their projects.

71RjaB2L-iL._SL1400_.jpg

walter+smith+iii.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Then, another very recent release: Coldplay's Ghost Stories in 24-bit 44.1kHz from HDTracks. Pleasant music. It sounds almost as ambient music at times, but good ambient music. I bought the high-res file despite its abysmally low DR (6) because I have always enjoyed Coldplay albums. My expectations in terms of sound quality were low, but I have been positively surprised. The album is quite listenable despite the strong volume compression, and I do not find it fatiguing on the ears, perhaps because of its aerial musical atmosphere.

HD825646299133_185.jpg

Echo your comments on the Coldplay release. I had low expectations but was really surprised. I you enjoyed them as a more stripped down band over 10 years ago and like their B side releases this is for you. Pick this one up. This is quite kindred to Parachutes.

• 1 month later...
Disclaimer: It's not evening here in Italy so this is, technically, album of the afternoon. BTAIM, this is a terrific new recording from Joshua Redman.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13196[/ATTACH]

Checking this out right now. 24/44 digital download. If you are a fan of Joshua this is one to pick up. It really puts you in the club and is very intimate. His cover of The Ocean is the nuts.

Dewey would be proud!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...