cover.jpg

Borodin: String Quartets 1 & 2. Played with expressiveness and control by the Russian Quartet. Excellent sound from an Arte Nova CD rip.

Followed by

cover.jpg

Ginastera: String Quartets 1 & 2, played with verve by the Henschel Quartet. Also excellent sound from another Arte Nova CD rip.

(The album covers from this label seem to have little to do with the music or the composers, but their catalog is interesting and production values are high).

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

cover.jpg

Bach: Concertos. Nuanced and nicely articulated performances by Fabio Biondi and Europa Galante. More convincing in the violin and oboe concertos than in the concerto for harpsichord. Very good sound from a Virgin CD rip.

cover.jpg

Schubert: Death and the Maiden, Quartetsatz. Barely OK, two-dimensional, sound from a 16/48 digitized LP, but superb performances by the Quartetto Italiano.

• 2 weeks later...

cover.jpg

And now for something completely different: an evening of wonderful dissonances. The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Don Cherry. Disc 3 of a Mosaic set of 3 LPs. Great sound, too, digitized at 16/48.

cover.jpg

Disc 4 of 12. Murray Perahia plays Mozart. (The complete piano concertos. Couldn't resist the bargain price of less than $30.00 for the whole set at ArkivMusic, though it duplicates a few that I already had).

Been listening to these in chronological order, an interesting experience that reveals similarities and differences otherwise hidden. For example, the quantum jump between the first four Haydn-like concertos and the fifth that suddenly is very much mature Mozart.

cover.jpg

Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 1. Dramatic, patrician interpretation by Clifford Curzon and George Szell, who take it at much slower tempi than the competition in my collection (including a version by Szell with Rudolph Serkin).

The 1962 sound, from a 24/96 HDTT download, while very clear and with good piano to orchestra balance, exhibits a tinge of hardness, lack of three-dimensionality and air, and tubby bass. But here the performance is the thing.

Hans Pischner (who is celebrating his 100th birthday this year) plays Bach's Inventions and Symphonies. I was totally unaware of this great German harpsichordist until a few days ago, when Berlin Classics put out a big box and I heard excerpts on the radio. I was instantly impressed by the quality of his playing and the beauty and strength of his instrument (a fairly modern harpsichord). A big plus, compared with many recordings of this repertoire, is that the orchestras and conductors are excellent: the Staatskapelle Dresden, the State Symphonic Orchestra of Berlin, Kurt Sanderling, Kurt Redel. The sound quality is surprisingly good for recordings from the DDR. I am looking forward to listening to the Goldbergs. Even if I have listened to only 20% of the box, I can already recommend it. Even if the remaining 80% was uninteresting (which is very unlikely), this 20% already easily justifies the low price.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13373[/ATTACH]

Thank you very much for posting this great find! Pischner's readings are especially notable for the (to me) rightness of tempi. Prestos are fast, but not breakneck. Adagios are slow, but not plodding. Articulation is breathtaking.

A couple of nits to pick about the Qobuz downloads: The sound is uneven and often tends to be a bit harsh. Tagging contains double entries for each track title (e.g., Concerto for Flute, Violin and Harpsichord and Strings in A Minor, BWV 1044:Concerto for Flute, Violin and Harpsichord and Strings in A Minor, BWV 1044: III. Alla breve) requiring PITA hand editing.

But the price is right -- and the music mesmerizing.

cover.jpg

Nun kumm, der heiden heiland. Organ music by Buxtehude, Bruhns, and Bach. Played by Benoit Dumon. Excellent sound from a 24/96 Qobuz download.

(Got this for free after I complained about double tagging on three prior purchases. Nice gesture from Qobuz).

cover.jpg

Tom Cawley's Curios: Captive. Splendid sound from a 24/48 Bowers & Wilkins Society of Sound download. Accomplished playing. The music, alas, is a bit bland and repetitive.

cover.jpg

The Amadeus Quartet RIAS recordings of Mozart's quartets and quintets, including the Clarinet Quintet in A major. Simply stunning performances. Pellucid, vintage (1950-57) sound, mono of course, from a Qobuz 16/44.1 download. Unfortunately, once again every single track's title is double tagged, requiring extensive manual editing. But the price is right: 3.59 Euros ($4.86) for 52 tracks!

Highly recommended.

cover.JPG

Benjamin Godard: Works for piano and orchestra. Howard Shelley plays and directs the Tasmanian Symphony. Superb sound from a 24/96 Hyperion download.

I confess that composer and interpreters are both completely new to me. Based on these pieces, Godard sounds a bit like a cross between Saint-Saens and Gershwin. Fascinating. Very much worth listening to.

That's an amazing price!

FYI, Audite's own website sells a 24/48 FLAC version for €16.50.

audite! - The RIAS Amadeus Quartet Mozart Recordings

In their stereo recordings for DG, the first violinist was extremely dominant. Is that equally true in these RIAS recordings?

I suspect that 24/48 for a 1950s mono recording may be a bit of an overkill perhaps.

The RIAS recordings seem fairly balanced. I did not detect any undue dominance of the first violinist.

Enrico Pieranunzi: Ballads

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13740[/ATTACH]

Beautiful piano trio jazz with the brilliant Marc Johnson of the last Bill Evans trio, and the excellent Joey Baron. Highly recommended

Excellent, indeed!

cover.jpg

Vivaldi: Cello Sonatas, played by Marco Ceccato. Nice complement on period instruments to Ofra Harnoy's readings from the same corpus (below) on modern cello. Two sonatas actually appear on both albums. Vivid sound from a 24/88 Qobuz download.

cover.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

cover.jpg

Berlioz: Te Deum. London Symphony and Chorus, directed by Colin Davis and Colin Lee. A B&W Society of Sound 24/96 download. The recording exhibits a somewhat distant perspective that tends to diminish the effect of the considerable forces involved in the performance. For comparison, the 1969 LP version of this work (later reissued on CD, see below) by the same performers offers a more direct sound that well complements the drive and impact of the score.

cover.jpg