Thelonious Monk - It's Monk's Time from original Columbia remaster. I supposed it's Mark Wilder work. Sounds awesome!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20089[/ATTACH]

It's Monk's Time | Thelonious Monk*– Télécharger et écouter l'album

Thanks, again. Didn't know this one and like it. Streaming it this moment on Tidal. Sound is pretty good. Apparently Tidal is using the same version as Qobuz is selling.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 1 month later...
folder.jpg

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

• 1 month later...
Hello AudioTragic,

Alas, as a New Yorker from the USA, I am not able to benefit from the many Qobuz offerings I would like to purchase. Good to know that others can (smile).

Enjoying the music,

Richard

PS

I imagine your system as you describe in your signature renders this collection magnifique

I live in a non-Qobuz country. I wrote them (service email) and nicely asked if they could setup an account for me. They setup an account for me which says I'm in France. Works perfectly. The only downside (for me) is that all the pages come up in French, which I have a limited ability with. I know they have done the same for others.

• 2 weeks later...

folder.jpg

Just digitized and listened to this for the first time in years. Now I remember why I bought it back in the seventies. Beautiful and it just sucks you in.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22423[/ATTACH]

I'm not familiar at all with The Bad Plus and this is my first listen to this album (via TIDAL). I am a fan of Joshua Redman however and so far I'm glad to have discovered it. Anyone a fan of these musicians?

If you like this you should check out some of their other albums. Good modern Jazz with a sensibility that intermingles elements of other kinds of music - pop, rock, rap. I like an album called 'Made Possible". They even did a version of "The Rite of Spring".

• 3 weeks later...

Beethoven: The Late String Quartets | Cypress String Quartet

folder.jpg

Great recording of some of the most sublime music ever written.

• 3 weeks later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23089[/ATTACH]

A classic which I haven't listened to in quite some time.

Still a great album. Listen to it fairly often.

I also have the DSD version, sounds very good.

kalthoum.jpg

Jazz in tribute to the Egyptian singer. Good stuff. Good sound.

Available in hi-res at Qobuz and ProStudioMasters, or at Tidal.

Streaming over Qobuz, quite interesting, but sounds a bit loud. Do you have any analysis of the sound - DR/Scopes? Music is fine, but to my ears quite hot mastered.

Your impression is correct; however I find the download sounds better than the streaming. For me, there is enough variety in the music that the compression doesn't ruin it for me. The variety within the tracks makes it less noticeable.

I've mostly found that jazz albums go light on the compression or don't really have any "added" compression over what they would have had 20 years ago. I hope this isn't changing.

foobar2000 1.3.8 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.0

log date: 2016-01-09 09:02:49

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Analyzed: Ibrahim Maalouf / Kalthoum (Alf Leila Wa Leila)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track

DR8 -0.66 dB -11.96 dB 3:54 01-Introduction

DR10 -0.67 dB -13.68 dB 4:46 02-Overture I

DR7 -0.66 dB -10.98 dB 3:34 03-Overture II

DR10 -0.67 dB -15.04 dB 6:15 04-Movement I

DR9 -0.68 dB -12.63 dB 7:26 05-Movement II

DR6 -0.66 dB -9.80 dB 15:20 06-Movement III

DR6 -0.68 dB -9.98 dB 10:15 07-Movement IV

Number of tracks: 7

Philip Glass: Low Symphony and Heroes Symphony (based on the Bowie albums).

glass.jpg

Yes another master has passed;

And to my astonishment I did not know of the existence of ''Fly away little Bird''

That album is now on my most wanted list.

judging from this youtube sample the sound and playing seems to be very good. thanks:)

[video=youtube;jY-kpv1T1tA]

Available on Tidal. Streaming now.

• 3 weeks later...

Good album, good recording. Especially "Grand Concerto for Organ and Orchestra".

Available in hi-res for about $12.25 from Presto Classical

folder.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

pictures.png

On sale at ProStudioMasters

Wilson Audio transfer from tape of piano solo. DSD and PCM available. Tremendously natural piano sound in DSD (haven't heard the PCM).

• 2 weeks later...

24/96 2014 Remaster: sounds very good. Better than my 2000 CD Remaster, but no bonus tracks.

On sale now for 12.99 at PonoMusic. It costs at least a few dollars more at all the other download sites.

220px-WillieNelsonRedHeadedStrangeralbumcover.jpg

Indeed! Great music and interpretations. Sounds very good, too.

Just saw the Hahn/Jarvi/Mozart on Presto Classical for about $7, before VAT (I'm not in Europe or UK). At the other sites it is $18-$21.

A Wizard, A True Star

Todd Rundgren

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24749[/ATTACH]

I had not listened to, or even thought about, TR for a long long time, but thankfully Acoustic Sounds offers this and Something/Anything in 24/96 and 24/192. I got the 24/96 versions since this format seems optimal input for HQPlayer closed-filter output into my system.

8 album package including this, of TR available https://www.highresaudio.com/artist.php?abid=497590

in 24/96 for $29. Not in the right country, use VPN.

One of the best jazz trio records of recent years. Songwriting and playing of the first order. Fantastic sounding recording, 24/96 download.

folder.png

• 3 weeks later...
Keith Jarrett, Creation, high-res download from Qobuz. Nice, though a bit subdued, music. Good, but a far cry from the Köln concert (OK, that's a tough benchmark). By the way, Jarrett should really stop humming, or recording engineers should make sure his buzzing cannot be heard on the recording.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25173[/ATTACH]

The humming and shouting is just him. At this point it's already a trademark. I'm sure if they wanted to take if off the recordings they would. Get used to it and don't worry about it...it isn't that hard to do.

• 1 month later...

chesky.jpg

Just released. If you like contemporary "classical" music you will probably like this. Unless you hate Chesky.

Recorded in a Church and sounds very good. Not a surprise coming from Chesky.

Google for a discount code. There are plenty around for downloading it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26105[/ATTACH]

Another Frank Morgan selection tonight via TIDAL.

When I search for it in Tidal it doesn't come up. Can you send the direct page link with the album number? Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Nelsons and the BSO with their latest Shostakovich release (redbook stream from Qobuz).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27520[/ATTACH]

Surprisingly well recorded for DG standards.

Also on Tidal. Enjoying it, thanks.

Great pop/rock music. Semi-forgotten band that was fantastic.

folder.jpg

Thanks for the recommendation. The music IS different; the enthusiasm of the performers borders on maniacal (the good kind of maniacal). And it is a good recording, most appealing to me being lots of bass that adds solidity and stays this side of muddy, which I always appreciate. Although it does sound like an artificial studio-created space rather than a live performance space, with vocals pushed way front-and-center. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

https://www.amazon.com/Sotto-Voce-Ro.../dp/B000F9RLU8

Liked the album a lot. I enjoy bands that cross musical boundaries, yet manage to integrate different styles into something that doesn't sound like it is a hodgepodge. Quite good.

• 1 month later...
Africa Express Presents Terry Riley's in C Mali

Cool. Didn't know about this one. Like this version.

• 1 month later...

folder.jpg

Just downloaded from HDT.

If you like the Robert Glasper Experiment, you will like his new one.

Debated whether the hi-res was worth it, as these albums are "modern" and are volume compressed - this one has average DR of 7, which I tend to avoid.

However, the VC compression bothers me less on this kind of music (say vs classic pop/rock), as it is "supposed" to sound that way, and clearly is written and recorded with that kind of sound in mind.

In any case, I'm a big fan of Robert Glasper, and this is a good album - a nice combo of jazz, hip-hop, pop, and rock.

It does sound better than streaming it from Tidal - a little warmer and fuller.

folder.pdf