cover.jpg

Dvorak: Symphony No. 7. Vaclav Neumann and the Czech Philharmonic.

Great performance. The recorded sound is a mixed bag; on the one hand, like many early CDs, it tends to shrillness and tizziness, on the other, the balances are right and there is a good sense of the orchestra's three-dimensional space.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

Dietrich Buxtehude: Harpischord Works

Rinaldo Alessandrini

83bcb340dca08ee700cea010.L._SX300_.jpg

Awesome program, awesome performance and awesome SQ. Totally love it :)

Accwai: CD rip? Download? Thank you.

Guido F.

cover.jpg

Bruckner: Symphony No. 9. Bernard Haitink and the London Symphony. The recorded sound, from a 24/96 Bower & Wilkins download, though generally good, tends to become a bit shrill in the fff passages.

cover.jpg

Beethoven: String Trios Op. 9. Energetically played by Zimmermann/Tamestit/Poltera. Good sound from an eclassical 24/88 download, with perhaps a bit more metallic tinge than a live string trio has.

Personally, I prefer the more nuanced interpretation by Mutter/Giuranna/Rostropovich, though the sound, from a CD rip, is less vivid and airy.

cover.jpg

cover.jpg

Dvorak: Cello Concerto in B minor. Masterful and highly engaging performance by Pierre Fournier with George Szell and the Berlin Philharmonic. Excellent vintage sound from an HDTT 24/96 download, sourced from a 4-track, 1961 DGG tape.

folder.jpg

Dvorak: String Quintets. Most uninspiring album cover, but delightful chamber music, impeccably played by the Berlin Philharmonic String Quintet. The recorded sound, from a B&W Society of Sound 24/96 download, is exemplary.

Back on topic: Bach's Cello Suites by Pierre Fournier, live in Japan, Tokyo FM SACD. Very good interpretation. I can't really comment on the sonics given that my sub is dead and that my speakers cut off at 70Hz, but it seems good.

Sorry to hear about your sub. Best wishes for a recovery.

Guido F.

cover.jpg

Shostakovich: Piano Concertos Nos. 1 & 2. Nimbly played by Denis Matsuev and the Mariinsky Orchestra under Valery Gergiev. Superb sound from a B&W Society of Sound 24/48 download.

Organ Works Vol. 1 - Artwork.jpg

OK, more like a recording of *three* evenings. But worthy of exploring the entire series (with some later volumes in higher resolution).

Buxtehude: Volume 1 of the Complete Works for Organ. Beautifully played by Bine Bryndorf. Excellent sound from a 16/44.1, Dacapo download.