thousandshadesofblue.jpg

I know this has been recommended several times before, but I just wanted to give it another vote. Superlative performance and sonics!

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

• 1 month later...

LiveAtFip.jpg

Recommended by someone on another thread. Wow what a performance! Great sound quality too from a Redbook Qobuz download.I have only listened a few times but it's a great live recording. I have a feeling this will be one of my favorites for a long time.

• 3 weeks later...
I've tried to persuade Pierre a couple of times, but (obviously) have not been successful.

That's too bad. You would think he would want to do a DXD transfer just for archival purposes. If he would release the entire catalog in HD I would likely end up buying the majority of it. Even the albums I didn't initially like that much I eventually came back to.

Grant Green: Idle Moments (24/192)

A legendary classic:

Grant Green: Idle Moments

Available for a ridiculously low €6.98 at Qobuz right now.

The Blue Note highres remaster is excellent, this nearly gets audiophile qualities.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15802[/ATTACH]

I absolutely love that album! I just dug this CD out and ripped it to listen again. I hadn't gone into that box yet. Man, so much good stuff from that era...

Glad you like it, I agree it is really worth exploring.

Back to topic:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15999[/ATTACH]

Bach: Christmas Oratorio - Christopher

Only 6 days left to play it, so it gets heavy rotation.

Geeze. Just curious, how many versions do you own?

Sorry for another OT: did you end up buying a version?

Re: Bach Christmas Oratorio

No, I've just been listening to the ones I could stream online and haven't gotten through them all. Suzuki isn't streamable and curiosity may get the better of me.

Linn Records 24 bits of Christmas promotion has gotten me to bite on two albums. this is the second one:

own.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Mozart: Requiem and Vespers, by M. Suzuki and the Bach Collegium Japan, BIS, in high-res from eClassical. I have (too) many recordings of Mozart's Requiem and feared that I would find no particular interest in this one. I was wrong. It is really beautiful, perfect and tasteful. It becomes my topmost version together with Mariss Janson's very recent live recording. Suzuki is perhaps a bit more delicate and well recorded while Janson's forces have a bit more strength. Both are excellent and highly recommended. If I had too chose just one, that would be tough, but I'd probably go for Suzuki. Then, there are plenty of other good versions. When I want to have fun, I listen to Currentzis' awkward recording. When I want full orchestras and big choirs, I listen to Karajan on SACD or Muti on Esoteric SACD. Harnoncourt's recording is also very good, half-way between Currentzis and Suzuki. Then, there is also Karajan's version from his compact-disc period, but I prefer the earlier version that has been reissued on SACD.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16589[/ATTACH]

I don't own any recordings of this and was thinking of getting one. Have you heard the new one from Dunedin Consort on Linn? It is brand new and got stellar reviews...

Linn Records - Mozart: Requiem (Reconstruction of first performance)

Sorry, I haven't heard it so can't comment first-hand about it. The only thing I can say is that I recently came across one lukewarm review in a magazine (Diapason or Classica, I don't remember). On this basis, I decided not to get it. Another reason not to buy it was that the price of the 24/192 is quite high.

I agree on the price being a bit much for the linn recordings, and I very much like the eClassical pricing scheme.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

newseasons.jpg

I am admittedly a bit of a neophyte in classical music, but I was not familiar with Kancheli. Streaming on Tidal now as one of their featured albums.

• 4 months later...
Listened to Ms. Giddens last night.

And will see her live tonight at a really fine small club (Towne Crier) in Beacon NY.

I am psyched.

I understand at this point standing room only.

She's going to be a great star!

rhiannon_giddens_tomorrow_my_turn.jpg

Dave, who also notes that the Towne Crier serves excellent food at reasonable prices so you get seats and eat and then the artist comes on which makes for a very relaxing evening

She already is a star. The Carolina Chocolate Drops have won at least one Grammy already. I have seen them live but not her on the solo tour. I'll bet it was awesome!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

51wHdsbZDnL._SS280.jpg

Eclassical just had a special on it recently. It is very energetic. The Allegros are way quicker than I am used to. Some passages are interpreted completely differently than I have heard before (the phrasing from the Air passage of the first suite is a bit aburpt and concise for my taste.) It's a different take on it anyway. Good quality 96/24.

• 2 weeks later...
Neo-classical music and world premieres of the Dutch composer masterpieces - Vagn Holmboe. Stunning dynamics and recording from DaCapo label in 24/96 resolution FLAC.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24402[/ATTACH]

Streamed in redbook from Tidal.

Wow, that is great. Listened to it twice in the last 24 hours. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

ElevenGates.jpg

I bought this a while back on a whim and then didn't have the patience for it. I just tried it again and really dig it. Sound is good with a 44/24 download from eClassical.

• 1 month later...

Just downloaded from bandcamp. Good diversity of style going on here. While no real star power, the musicians are playing really well together. I always find groups led by drummers to have a bit different flavor to them. I dig it.

Daniel Freedman - Imagine That - cover.jpg

• 1 month later...