• 5 weeks later...
So I finally picked this up today after all of the buzz. I am on my second listen. So far I am not feeling it.

I guess you didn't "Get Lucky".

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

folder.jpg

Valerie June - Pushin' Against A Stone - HDTracks - 24/48

One of my favorite albums from 2013. A cross between Nina Simone and Patsy Cline.

• 3 weeks later...
I agree about the sets with the slower songs. The version of "Stella by Starlight" remains one of my favourite cuts. Love the version of "All Blues" as well. The ensemble here is totally awesome, esp. Tony Williams and, of course, Miles.

I love Miles when he plays the slower songs. The complete concert together with a lot of other great cuts can also be found on the 7 disc Seven Steps set.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I don't believe this has been posted on here *yet*.... but WOW. Just absolutely WOW. This is not an audiophile recording, but it's close enough with how good the music is that I'll be enjoying this a lot and demoing for people.

The Music is just purely amazing!!!! It's fast and upbeat and ALL over the place. Some amazing musicians in this group. I'd have a tough time thinking there's many that wouldn't like this.

You definitely feel like you're at a small concert and they are just up on stage JAMMING THEIR HEARTS OUT.

HIGHLY recommend!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13455[/ATTACH]

Thanks for recommending this. Very nice!

• 3 weeks later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]13605[/ATTACH]

Joe Henry, Invisible Hour.

I've been listening to a lot of different music lately, and this one keeps cutting through the rest and demanding my special attention. The opening track, The Sparrow, is stuck in my mind, and not in a bad way. These are unique melodies and deep lyrics.

Pretty much all ballads, though Henry is definitely not a crooner. His voice reminds me of Graham Parker's, if Parker had grown up in the US.

Recording is impeccable.

Thanks for mentioning this. Very nice!

• 4 months later...
Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ, in 24/96 from HDTracks. The remaster is really well done.

Greetings_from_Asbury_Park_NJ.jpg

Then, I listened for the first time to Thunder Road in HDTrack's 24/96 version. Wow. I was blown away by the clarity of the sound. It almost sounds audiophile now. Bruce Springsteen's voice is also much more forward than before (and his guitar a bit more in the background). The gain in clarity is really huge. I also felt that Thunder Road lost a bit of its prior "raw" impact. Perhaps its the slight VC. Or perhaps it's just that I have been used to the prior poor mastering for 30 years, so that I need to adjust a bit.

Call it "burn in" if you wish.

"Bruce Springsteen" and "audiophile" in the same paragraph. Talk about worlds colliding. :)

BTW, I'm listening to The River as I write this. Sounds pretty good for 24/44.1

• 2 weeks later...
+2, all the Ray Brown / Gene Harris Concord albums of that time are amazing, fun to listen to and very well recorded. I just wonder why they are so hard to come by as high-res downloads.

+3 Love these albums!

• 1 month later...
Some feel good music before meeting friends for dinner:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16824[/ATTACH]

If you can listen to this and NOT tap your foot, you're either dead or deaf.

An excellent choice.

Gene Harris + Ray Brown = Good Music

• 4 weeks later...
The initial SACD is to be avoided (for purchase). It was merely a conversion of the 16/44 master to DSD. Subsequently, a hybrid multichannel SACD was produced by Analogue Productions.

Yes, the one to get is the one that AP did for their box set. All six albums are great but I find myself to returning to her Covers album most often.

1357852449_cover.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]17383[/ATTACH]

Just been listening to this after a while (HDtracks 24/88) and forgot how good it is. Natalie is in excellent form and the sound quality, both her vocals and the instrumentals is, IMO, very good. I especially like the acoustic guitar work.

+1

Wonderful album. I have been on a Natalie Merchant kick the last couple of weeks after seeing her name mentioned in one of Chris's reviews. I can't believe I never found her before.

• 5 months later...
FYI, I just reviewed the Cole Porter Songbook album on my blog:

Oscar Peterson Plays the Cole Porter Songbook | From Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms

Another great review. All of these new Oscar Peterson releases are great. The Duke Ellington Songbook seems to missing though. :(

By the way, Merle Shore did the cover. You can see part of his (?) signature in the lower right.

• 2 weeks later...
Rhiannon Giddens - Tomorrow is my Turn (bluegrass, blues, folk - excellent debut)

This is one of my favorite albums of the year. In addition to her work with the Carolina Chocolate Drops, Ms. Giddens also features prominently on this album:

The New Basement Tapes: Elvis Costello, Rhiannon Giddens, Taylor Goldsmith, Jim James, Marcus Mumford in collaboration with Bob Dylan

• 2 weeks later...
I do not believe Branford Marsalis requires air to breathe. He is playing non stop and several times I thought I would pass out trying to breathe for him. Remarkable!

He probably uses circular breathing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_breathing

• 2 weeks later...
i love this album.

totally improvised as Miles watched the unedited video projected on a screen as he played.

+1

I love this album as well. I'm surprised that it isn't more well-known.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23693[/ATTACH]

Ane Brun.........Sketches............unique style that I find very interesting. Listen to "Don't Leave".

+1

Love this album.

• 1 month later...

folder.jpg

I finally got around to listening to Fiona Joy's new album, Into The Mist.

Cookie and her team at Blue Coast Records have done an amazing job of capturing Fiona playing on an 1885 Steinway Piano.

According to the website (Fiona Joy | Into The Mist | Blue Coast Records), it was "recorded in DSD256 and mixed through analog console to DSD256".

If you enjoy solo piano, this is not an album to be missed. Introductory pricing is available until the end of the month.

Nice find firedog. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks from me as well.

I bought the 24/96 version from the Rare Noise Records website a couple of days ago and have been enjoying it immensely.

• 2 weeks later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24939[/ATTACH]

I'm loving this album. Jazz trio: female singer, double bass, and trumpet--beautifully recorded. Unless you absolutely hate that kind of thing, you should check this out. The DSD download is available at Native DSD, with 10% off for another week or so.

Thanks for recommending this. I'm a big fan of both the bass and the female voice so I'm enjoying it immensely. I picked up the DSD version from Native DSD and her other two albums from Presto Classical.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25054[/ATTACH]

Simply one of the most stunning and under-rated artist of the late 20th century.

Her voice and delivery have yet to be matched by any of the other so-called "Pop-Divas".

A true treasure if you can find the time and right equipment to experience her range.

Don't say I didn't warn you....

Good one!