If you enjoy thoughtful, tasty jazz vocals with a Jazz Passengers feel try this one.

yeb-7741g.jpg

iMac - iTunes(AIFF) - Squeeze 7.9- QOBUZ flac streamer - Vodafone Revolution Router - Transporter - Pathos Classic One MkIII - JM/Focal Daline 3 - dhLabs & Xindak xlr cables - Mapleshade header and footers - AppleTV3

Lead me to this:

41M3RTG34ZL._AA160_.jpg

Really interesting and innovative, deserves repeated listenings in my...

Just listened to the Roy Nathanson you suggested. It led me to these two(which I think are super interesting):

imgres.jpg

images.jpg

Which lead me to this (don't ask me how):

511f0AGTFBL._SY300_.jpg

An old favorite that I'd forgotten about completely until...

Chris

Interestingly, the first jazz LP I ever purchased was this:

imgres-1.jpg

Thanks to you (and Qobuz) and a delicious Monferrato Barbera DOCG it was an evening - molto strepitoso!

iMac - iTunes(AIFF) - Squeeze 7.9- QOBUZ flac streamer - Vodafone Revolution Router - Transporter - Pathos Classic One MkIII - JM/Focal Daline 3 - dhLabs & Xindak xlr cables - Mapleshade header and footers - AppleTV3

• 2 weeks later...

Super interesting jazz/flamenco/mexican pairing.

imgres.jpg

Disclaimer: It's not evening here in Italy so this is, technically, album of the afternoon. BTAIM, this is a terrific new recording from Joshua Redman.

imgres.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The Westerlies - Wish The Children Would Come On Home

I find myself playing this Wayne Horvitz inspired music over and over again. Someone please listen to the recording and tell me I'm o.k.

imgres.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Male jazz vocalists don't seem to get much respect around here (as compared to females). Jose James and Sachal Vasandani are two interesting young singers with divergent styles:

51+woSapIPL.jpg

81GBHTG6WFL._SL1500_.jpg

Allen Toussaint + Brad Mehldau, Nicolas Peyton, Joshua Redman, Marc Ribot, Don Byrum, David Piltch and producer Joe Henry. The result...sublime.

imgres.jpg

• 1 month later...

Not a Nina Simone cover album - something else entirely. It's gorgeous music, beautifully played. Not for casual listening.

0822189026714_600.jpeg

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Finally back from a winter working in Cambodia. So much Qobuz to catch up on. Here's something I'm listening to now that really is enjoyable.

Remembering the Rain.jpeg

This may not be worth a listen. However...the album artwork is pretty cool. Maybe we need a thread on album art that trumps the musical content.

Tout l'univers - Listener's Digest.jpeg

Thank you to everyone who contributes to this site. It's fabulous to catch up on what I've missed.

Given the obvious limitations to Qobuz(and Tidal) search options, I've taken to this convoluted method (on Qobuz). Convoluted because it's difficult to land on the correct launch page. Here's a link to it:

Jazz - Télécharger et écouter les albums. - Page 33

You'll land on Home>Shop Jazz>All the music by genre>jazz

This gets you to ALBUMS where there is a drop down menu [sort and filter] by interpreters, price, composers, etc. I'm currently exploring by label. For example; I'm working my way through the Hatology recordings and discovered these.

Are You Going to Stop...jpeg

Annette.jpeg

Haunted Heart.jpeg

News for Lulu.jpeg

Mozzafiato! Breathtakingly beautiful, evocative music. Qobuz stream...merci beaucoup

imgres.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

First...a disclaimer. The leader is a very good friend. I saw him today (he was having an exhibition of his paintings). I purchased the CD rather than stream it on:

Qobuz Muerte por Chocolate | Antonio Marangolo Terzetto – Télécharger et écouter l'album

He's my friend and deserves more than .0000000002 cents per play. In any case, it's very, very good and equally well recorded.

marangolo.jpeg

Really tasty. I'm also working my way through the Hatology catalog on Qobuz. Did not get to this one yet.

grazie - david

Thingin' - live recording with Lee Konitz, Don Friedman, Attila Zoller - legends I'd

say. Fine sound quality with DR14 and good instrument weight and placements among the stage. Recommended.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19532[/ATTACH]

A gem buried deep inside another Qobuz secret hiding place. I do love Chico Freeman's tone. It includes a killer version of Dat Dere, a song covered by Mel Torme, Art Blakey, Rickie Lee Jones and many more... Strepitoso!

unnamed.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The always interesting Wayne Horvitz. This time it is a soundscape of the poetry of Richard Hugo. The players are uniformly excellent.

Cover_small.png

The always interesting Wayne Horvitz. This time it is a soundscape of the poetry of Richard Hugo. The players are uniformly excellent.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20010[/ATTACH]

• 2 weeks later...

Disclaimer: I usually run the other way when the word "with strings" is added to a jazz title. This even includes the many highly regarded classic jazz releases from the 50's and 60's. Heresy or just personal taste? Qualunque(whatever). However, this one punches all of my buttons. Great musicianship, great tunes and great recording. I've been listening to this everyday since I drilled down to it via Qobuz. Thank you to the poster who turned me on to these very smoke-able Dutch masters.

images.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Another juicy tomato plucked from the Qobuz bottomless salad bowl. All you can eat for €20 a month.

download.jpeg

Seriously, this is a really interesting recording. Ran Blake continues to amaze. Songs For My Father arranged for piano, sax and violin. Super delicious!

• 5 weeks later...

It's almost evening in Italy. Shot of frozen vodka, glass of wine...time for some listening. This is DDM(Delicious Dance Music) rather than EDM. It's music written for dance, not to dance to. Actually it's for eleven dancers with intelligently written music by Nitin Sawhney, Jocelyn Pook and Ben Frost. It references the 100th anniversary of Stravinsky's Le Sacre du Printemps(The Rite of Spring). Not my usual thing, but I'm enchanted by this music. It's sounding great tonight.

imgres.jpg

This is the only thing I could find out about it - if anyone is interested:

Akram Khan Company - iTMOi (2013)

• 2 months later...

So much Mirabassi love here at CA. I'm looking forward to seeing him live at Raffle's Hotel in Phnom Penh next month. Should be interesting.

• 5 months later...

Rainy Sunday here in northern Italy. What do do? How about leftover tandoori chicken and this:

imgres.jpg

Manu Chao does calypso...really? Great fun.

calypso.jpg

• 6 months later...
Yep, Neighborhood is my favorite Katché album. Have used the opening track "November 99" for many system tests.

Have you tried his "Live in Concert"?

Playing Shostakovich tonight:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31436[/ATTACH]

Truly an excellent album. So far only streamed from Qobuz, but this is next on my "too purchase" list in 24/96, given the brilliant live recording quality.

Shostakovich: Symphonies Nos. 5, 8 & 9; Suite From Hamlet | Dmitri Shostakovich par Andris NelsonsÂ*– Download and listen to the album

Grazie, Musicophile. Listening to the Shostakovich now via Qobuz. You've made the sun shine this afternoon. Bravo!