• 2 weeks later...
"Vivaldi did not compose 400 concertos, he wrote the same concerto four hundred times!" - Stravinsky

Just one of 20 Vivaldi CDs in a bargain-priced set by LOiseau Lyre from Arkivmusic. (I hate to disagree with Starvinsky, but he *was* wrong!).

cover.jpg

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

On the heels of

cover.JPG

(see post #5472), I downloaded this organ transcription of the same work from the Hyperion site:

cover.JPG

Fascinating, musically, if not really satisfying sound-wise. (Not the clearest organ sound, and the extra wide dynamic range here might be a rare instance where a judicious amount of compression would have rendered listening more pleasant).

I come here only about once a week because I always find 4-5 albums I don't know much about or have never even heard of, and it seems like I would like them. I try to find a copy or a sample to listen to. Then I end up buying them...

+1! But one must live dangerously.

Guido F.

Café Zimmermann : Bach : Concerts avec plusieurs instruments (Intégrale)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9182[/ATTACH]

Same cover image as used in this version of Pergolesi's "La Serva Padrona," where it certainly makes more sense!

cover.jpg

Back on topic: Froberger's Capriccios by Bob van Asperen, SACD.

< snip>

Thank you for posting this. Fascinating music. I downloaded the 24/96 version from eclassical, which sounds great.

Guido F.

Back to topic:

Chopin: Polonaises (24/96), bought for the ridiculously low price of €3,48 from Qobuz.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9447[/ATTACH]

I'm a bit torn on the interpretation. I just love his Preludes, but here, it doesn't really get me yet.

The reviews range from "new benchmark" (Gramophone) to "hugely disappointing" (The Guardian). Maybe it will grow on me. Anyhow, I'm also not perfectly happy with the other so-called reference, Pollini.

Well recorded in any case.

cover.jpg

For a nuanced approach to Chopin's solo piano pieces, I like Ivan Moravec's. Here in decent sound from a CD rip.

Good idea. I love Moravec for the Nocturnes, but don't have him on the Polonaises.

I'm currently comparing to this version, which is much more nuanced, but maybe even a bit too much so, so I'm still looking for the perfect version. Otherwise this box is highly recommended and now available in a much cheaper $50 box. Magaloff is probably one of the most underrated Chopin pianists.

Nikita Magaloff: Chopin: The Complete Piano Music, "CD" 10.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9464[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the suggestion. Have not heard Magaloff yet.

cover.jpg

Prokofiev: Piano Concerto No. 3; Ravel: Piano Concerto in G major. Utterly riveting performances by Martha Argerich. Great sound from an LP digitized at 16/48.

(The cover image is actually from the CD release -- Gaspard de la Nuit is not on the LP).

cover.jpg

The Organ Works of Bach. Adventurous, gripping, moving music, played with conviction and skill by Jean Guillou on two outstanding instruments. Excellent sound from CD rips.

This is a 6 CD set. Disc 6 contains Guillou's transcription for organ of the Goldberg variations. Personally, I find it much less convincing than the original harpsichord version or modern piano renditions.

cover.jpg

Charles Mingus: The Complete 1959 CBS Sessions. Set of 4 Mosaic LPs.

Unleashed, unorthodox Mingus. Very good LP sound digitized at 16/48.

And, by way of contrast at least . . .

cover.jpg

Monteverdi: Sacred Vocal Music.

Exquisitely spiritual music, beautifully played and sung. Clean and refined Hyperion sound from a CD rip.

cover.jpg

Zino Francescatti plays Beethoven's violin concerto. Bruno Walter conducts. The 24/192 download from High Definition Tape Transfers sounds as if excessively multi-miked, resulting in a somewhat flat soundstage and lack of air among instruments. But with such satisfying playing, who cares if the sounds leaves something to be desired . . .