IGNORED

WARNING -- USING "REMOTE" APP DELETED MY MUSIC

I don’t know what to say. I have used remote on iPod Touch and iPad since it release everyday without issue. I tend to believe this is a data base issue with improper file path on the missing songs.

I again recommend comparing the file path for the missing songs versus those that are not missing. Secondly look on the Mac Mini under Music and follow the path until you reach iTunes Media and Music and see if any of the missing files are there. In every instance in the past when I have had missing files (unrelated in my case to the Remote App) they have somehow been directed to the Local disc path versus the path to my external harddrive that contains my library.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

I have run a disk utility repair. My initial playback of a couple of albums has worked. I will continue to test the status (cautiously) and report back.

FYI, a computer consultant I know did a bit of research on this issue. He found that there have been several reports of mysterious deletions of music from iTunes. However, no one has reported a reason for the deletions and no one, including Apple, has reported a solution. Stay tuned.

Steve Kuh[br]Mac Mini > Glyph HD > Weiss AFI1 (slave) > modded Esoteric D70 (master) > BAT VK51SE > Classe CA400 > Harbeth Super HL5[br]\"Come on the amazing journey and learn all you should know...\"

I haven't seen anyone suggest you try to track down the files yet to see if they are really missing. If you attempted to access a file on an offlined volume (or maybe a drive spun-down to save power?) iTunes will mark it missing and never go back to it unless you allow it to "Locate" it. The file would still be there, but marked missing in iTunes if that were the case.

I would also ask abouthow you have iTunes configured. If you're using external disks as your media store (as it seems), but are allowing iTunes to keep your library organized (as it also seems), it will actually copy files to the path you indicated (~/music/iTunes/iTunes Media) from your external sources. It would normally do that as they're added to the library though. The location and that behavior can be altered in the options.

In any event, do a spotlight search or browse around with Finder to see if the files are still there and it's not just a library problem.

localhost is your own machine. Using that URL instead of a file path is probably just for internal consistancy in iTunes.

You can specify what library iTunes opens (at least on macs) by holding down Alt (Option) as you click the icon to open iTunes.

iTunes prompts me to "locate" missing files. When I try to locate them they are not on the external or the internal HD. They are gone. Only the "ghost" (box w/out artwork and names of songs) appears.

since performing the disk utility scan, I've been playing different albums I have CDs for and they have worked. Perhaps the scan "repairs" corrected the problem. I will continue to check.

How this started is a mystery.

Steve Kuh[br]Mac Mini > Glyph HD > Weiss AFI1 (slave) > modded Esoteric D70 (master) > BAT VK51SE > Classe CA400 > Harbeth Super HL5[br]\"Come on the amazing journey and learn all you should know...\"