IGNORED

WADIA 151 PowerDAC vs. M2Tech Young vs. NuForce HDP

Hello everybody,

I have read quiet a lot of reviews/opinions in this forum.

I am "new" and would like to "enter" computer audiophile.

My setup: Zu Audio Tone speakers and a NuForce Icon Amp (without DAC!); as a CDP I use a Philips SACD 963.

I was now thinking of the above mentioned DACs.

I found lots of impressions on the M2Tech Young and also on the Icon HDP, which would fit with my Icon Amp.

But the most interesting product - in my opinion - is the WADIA 151 PowerDAC. This all-in-one-solution seems very minimalistic. The combined digital amp with the upsampling DAC could be really "highend".

Has anybody heard the WADIA?

In comparison to the M2Tech Young it might seem unfair - since the M2Tech costs almost as much as the WADIA combi.

I would like to play my ripped CDs 16Bit/44.1kHz but also Hi-Res Files via my Apple Mac Book Pro.

I would appreciate your recommendations and opinions.

Thanks

akim

I used a 151 PowerDAC for a few months and quite liked it. In the end I decided that I wanted to go back to something with tubes involved...

The USB input with a good cable (I liked the Kimber) sounds quite good. But if you use an asynch input such as the Musical Fidelity VLink, then the bass and the treble really sing. The bass in particular is beautifully tight and tuneful.

If I have a criticism it is in the mid-tones. So if you listen to a lot of female vocalists you might want to try a PowerDAC before buying it.

Kirk

MacMini -> Audiophilleo2 -> MHDT Havana DAC -> Placette remote volume -> Miniwatt N3 -> Tekton Design OB45

I would give a thumbs up on the Wadia 151 PowerDAC. I had this unit for several months also. I think it is exceptionally sounding and is an excellent choice for a desktop based or small main or secondary system. Keep in mind it only has digital inputs so if you have any sources that require analog connections they will not be accommodated. I really was quite suprised by the sound quality of this device. I thought it played well beyond its meager 25 wpc rating and the DAC performed admirably. I really like the robust metal remote control that came with the unit. Here is a good source for this product if you need one.

www.dedicatedaudio.com

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa