IGNORED

Does cable burn marks affects SQ?

My new second hand cables have burn marks on some strands where the cable has oxidized. I was a bit disgruntled seeing this as the ad had condition down as "excellent" albeit with some "rub marks".

Is this normal wear (and doesn't affect SQ) or am I in my rights to complain and try to reverse the trade?

This may be a stupid question, but if so, please enlighten me.

Sincerely

mm

mac mini \'10 ? cosecant v3 ? luxman l-505u ? harbeth shl5-3. [br]kimber kables

Read a little about skin effect. That'll tell you enough to answer your question.

I suspect one reason why many prefer the sound of silver is that all copper oxidizes no matter the dielectric. Silver doesn't oxidize like copper.

I've decided to try and reverse the trade. I have no desire to eventually deal with the hassle of reselling flawed cables, especially when I didn't cause the problems.

Thanks again

mm

Copper exposed to air oxidizes, and that isn't something anyone can change. Fortunately, it basically forms a very thin layer that protects the metal under it, so you can just wipe it off (or use something like copper glow to clean it) and it will be as good as new.

I noted that you said silver remains a conductor even if oxidized. That's good news, but doesn't the lack of plastic in these places interfere with the signal transfer? Either way, I'd really like to get the silver cleaned and the plastic covering sealed again. So that the oxidation doesn't make it blacken further.

Does anyone know if such refurbs can be made?

I wouldn't trust myself to to do these sort of things.

Sincerely

mm

Do you mean lack of insulation? Anyway, I don't know the answer to your question. (I know more about chemistry than audio.) I'd still remove the silver tarnish.

Maybe you could do it yourself with some heat-shrink tubing? (Assuming I am understanding the problem, which I am probably not.)