IGNORED

Squeezebox vs. USB

I am a newbie, about to make my first foray into computer audio. One of the first decisons I am facing is whether to use a Squeezebox with my existing DAC (a Reimyo), or get an Asynchronous USB DAC.

From what I can glean, Sqeezebox provides two main advantages: Easy to use interface, and the ability to keep the computer out of the music room (thus avoiding issue about noice, etc.)

What I am unclear about it whether this would be sonically compromised compared to USB DACs, in particular those that are asynchronous. Any opinions on this would be most welcomed.

A related question is whether a device such as the M2Tech Evo, in conjunction with my Reimyo, would bring the advantages of an asynchronous DAC.

I have been around long enough to know that few things in audio are black and white, and that how a device is implementated is as important a its general architecture. That said, if there are any generally accepted views, please share them.

Thanks in advance.

Larry

Larry: I don't think you can go wrong with a Squeezebox Touch. Not only do you have the ability to stream music files in wired or wireless mode but listen to many internet stations free. The Touch will do 24/96 files as well. If you get a good quality digital cable ( I use a Bolder cable ) and connect the Touch to your DAC you will have a very good quality setup. I have an Anedio DAC which has a USB input as well as the traditional inputs and uses the a ESS Sabre chip. I've listened most variations of the inputs ( except USB to SPDIF via a converter ) and I cannot tell any real differences. The Anedio site ( www.anedio.com ) has a section about using the Touch which you might find interesting. I've been using Squeezebox players since model 2 and am a real fan.

Guy

Thanks Guy.

Indeed, you are one of many who seem delighted with the Touch; it is obviously an extraordinary product, especially given its price.

But what I'm trying to get a handle on is whether asynchronous DACs are truly the quantum leap some claim them to be, and was hoping some here had compared one (or more) such DACs with a S/PDIF DAC driven by a Touch. I also wonder why everyone doesn't use the Touch, especially given the noise (both audible and RF) associated with many computers, which can obviously be problematic if they are in the listening room.

Yes, I know I ask for a lot. :)

Regards,

Larry

I also wonder why everyone doesn't use the Touch, especially given the noise (both audible and RF) associated with many computers, which can obviously be problematic if they are in the listening room.

Mac Mini's are very quiet, no noticeable sound in listening room; no problem with RF noise that I'm aware of.

Also, many prefer the iTunes + iPhone Remote app interface.

Some see the Touch as an inferior product for achieving true High End nirvana.

There are many great-sound Dacs, some asynch USB, some not. If you're in love with the Touch interface and like it as a product, then I wouldn't let the existence of asynch USB get in your way. Many people are happy with the sound of the Touch even without a Dac.

Personally I don't read asynch USB as a quantum leap, but a step forward, especially if the rest of your gear is highly-resolving.

Rascal

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2

I have been using the Squeezebox Classic since 2007, it is a very good sounding product, it is really great for internet radio and for streaming FLAC files to the main setup. You can either use the SB with a DAC or use it with it's own built-in DAC, (I do both) and it really sounds great for the price, and it is very easy to use. The sound from my MAC Mini seems to be a bit better though.

I just received the SB Touch today from Amazon and I am going to test it against the Classic, I finally upgraded because I have read that the Touch has a better DAC in it than the SB Classic and I liked the album art work displayed.

Larry, I don't think there's a general answer to this. It depends on how highly resolving the rest of your system is, and how good the Dac is. I'd bet that, in a very good system, a computer directly connected via asynch USB to a very good Dac will out-perform the Touch connected via SPDIF to the very good Dac.

It's just a question of how good "very good" is. Keep raising the bar, and the Touch will probably eventually show itself as the weakest link.

And there are undoubtedly many great-sounding systems where the difference is negligible.

The only real-world answer to this is to compare the same Dac - one with both an asynch USB input and an SPDIF input - and compare in the two configurations, with all the same system components. Perhaps someone around here has done that, though I'm doubtful, as the few Dacs that combine asynch USB and coax are fairly new.

Rascal

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2